This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from October 24th (agenda, Slack archive). Noteworthy: Daylight Saving Time is ending/has started in different places and times across the world. AUS started Oct 7, EU/UK ends Oct 28, US/CAN ends Nov 4. Plan accordingly!
5.0 Planning and Updates
- WordPress 5.0 Beta is officially available. Big thank you to everyone who has helped us thus far! We look forward to your continued support as we head quickly toward our Nov 19 release date. Read more about it here: https://wordpress.org/news/2018/10/wordpress-5-0-beta-1/
- Some concerns were raised about timeline and open issues. At the moment, we aren’t changing the timeline and there was general consensus that the open issue count could use some gardening to check for priority.A potentially post-beta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process., but definitely pre-RC One of the final stages in the version release cycle, this version signals the potential to be a final release to the public. Also see alpha (beta). concern was raised about #45018
- We still need people to write documentation (at all levels), and we have a few pieces we’re focused on first. Join the effort on GitHub!
- We also have an open call for testers. Anyone using assistive technology Assistive technology is an umbrella term that includes assistive, adaptive, and rehabilitative devices for people with disabilities and also includes the process used in selecting, locating, and using them. Assistive technology promotes greater independence by enabling people to perform tasks that they were formerly unable to accomplish, or had great difficulty accomplishing, by providing enhancements to, or changing methods of interacting with, the technology needed to accomplish such tasks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assistive_technology who has a few minutes to spare can help us continue to increase the accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) of Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/. Read more here: https://make.wordpress.org/core/2018/10/19/call-for-testers-community-gutenberg-accessibility-tests/
Component and Focus Updates
- The Gutenberg team released v4.1 which brought us to feature complete. Highlights include a block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. navigation system that can be used to access child and parent blocks within nested blocks easily.
- The Privacy team shared a meeting summary including discussions of privacy reviews for Gutenberg, BuddyPress, and progress on documentation.
- The PHP The web scripting language in which WordPress is primarily architected. WordPress requires PHP 5.6.20 or higher team shared a meeting summary with continued focus on WSOD protection. Future meetings will include work on roadmaps and team priorities.
- Help is requested to test the WSOD code!
- The Accessibility team shared that they have selected new team reps and are working on a post to help define issues currently seen in the block editor.
Announcements and Open Floor
- @paragonie raised #39309 as noteworthy for an upcoming release. There was a lengthy discussion, but in the end it seems that some momentum was achieved around awareness and future review.
- @joyously asked about anyone stuck without autoupdates. They will not be autoupdated to 5.0.
- @clorith noted that the Gutenberg forums are starting to get more development-specific questions. Feel free to stop by if you need a change of pace!
The next meeting will take place on Wednesday, October 31 20:00 UTC in the #core Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on the upcoming agenda post so that we can take them into account.
#5-0, #a11y, #core, #core-editor, #core-js, #core-media, #core-php, #core-restapi, #dev-chat, #gutenberg, #summary, #team-reps