Have a topic for discussion for the next meeting? Leave a suggested edit on next week’s agenda.
Agenda: “Props” for Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ Merge
How are props being handled for the merge of Gutenberg code?
- consensus was mostly reached on Github GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ profile attribution for any involved in a pull request.
- There were not concrete plans for technical process implementation of props yet.
- Discussion can continue in the meeting notes, or revisited in a future meeting.
- Proposal for language packs
- for v1, utilize `wp_localize_script` for loading/queuing translations.
- split this out into a meta Meta is a term that refers to the inside workings of a group. For us, this is the team that works on internal WordPress sites like WordCamp Central and Make WordPress. trac An open source project by Edgewall Software that serves as a bug tracker and project management tool for WordPress. ticket Created for both bug reports and feature development on the bug tracker. and create tickets/issues on different projects as necessary. (owned by @herregroen)
Agenda: Plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party and Block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. Scaffolding
There are some recently released projects designed to aid developer experience around plugins and blocks for Gutenberg:
- Work also started on a solution based on the above which is purely JS based.
- continue feedback/evaluation on the pull request
Agenda: Pending bump of Node’s LTS version from 8.x to 10.x
Slack Conversation | Context
- probably only request a bumping of the relevant files with node version in them.
- possibly some docs updating needed.
- revisit in a following meeting.