Have a topic for discussion for the next meeting? Leave a suggested edit on next week’s agenda.
Preparing for WordPress 5.0
- The technical overview of the Gutenberg integration into Core post has been shared.
- Integration of the Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ packages as npm dependencies into Core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. has started (Core ticket, Github PR for review).
Annotations API An API or Application Programming Interface is a software intermediary that allows programs to interact with each other and share data in limited, clearly defined ways. in Gutenberg
- The foundation work will be shipped in 4.0: The RichText package and the RichText structure.
- A custom format API will be added. Likely for 4.1.
- The annotations API should be built on top of this custom format API.
- Continue the work on the custom format API targeted for 4.1: @iseulde
- Coordinate with the Annotations API PR: @atimmer @iseulde
Generic Data Store API
The Data Module of Gutenberg is composed of two parts:
- The Producer API: Registering stores, selectors, actions.
- The Consumer API: Consuming selectors and actions in components and other scripts.
@coderkevin proposed to make the producer API less opinionated allowing custom stores implementations to leverage advanced use-cases for big applications/plugins like Calypso or WooCommerce while ensuring backward compatibility for the current implementation.
No blocker A bug which is so severe that it blocks a release. was raised on the Core side and the work should continue on the proposed PR.