This post summarizes the weekly dev chat meeting held Wednesday, August 08, 2018 (agenda | Slack archive).
👉🏼💥 Release Lead The community member ultimately responsible for the Release. Nominations 💥👈🏼
It’s time to select release leads for our 4.9.9 maintenance release. Hooray! If you’d like to nominate someone, or yourself, add a comment to this post. Don’t be shy, y’all.
What does a release lead do? Here are some good resources:
🔥 Hot Tip 🔥 You don’t have to be an engineer to be a release lead.
4.9.8 Release Feedback
- Check the goodies in the maintenance release post, if you haven’t.
- Big thanks to @pbiron, @joshuawold, @sergeybiryukov, @psykro and Mission Control. 🙌🏼
- @pbiron plans to post a retrospective similar to this in the next week or two.
- Overall, the Try Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ callout has been effective in getting people to use Gutenberg and find bugs. Active users jumped from 20k to 100k in just a few days.
- The support team reports via @clorith things have been pretty quiet since the release. More info inbound on wider areas of focus for support, so stay tuned.
- There are some reported issues to jump on:
- We’re all going proceed as if we’re doing a 4.9.9 maintenance release, so keep working on the growing list of tickets here.
- However, as of today, we aren’t committed to a 4.9.9 maintenance release. Why?
- There is not a rush to get a maintenance release the door
- We don’t have committed leads yet (see above)
- So far, we don’t have any significant issues from 4.9.8 that require attention
Focus Lead and Component Maintainer Updates
REST API The REST API is an acronym for the RESTful Application Program Interface (API) that uses HTTP requests to GET, PUT, POST and DELETE data. It is how the front end of an application (think “phone app” or “website”) can communicate with the data store (think “database” or “file system”) https://developer.wordpress.org/rest-api/.
- The REST API meeting is today – August 9, 2018 – at 17:00 UTC. Welp, this already happened.
- The key agenda items are:
- Prioritize register_meta improvements for 5.0
- Review API An API or Application Programming Interface is a software intermediary that allows programs to interact with each other and share data in limited, clearly defined ways.-related Gutenberg tickets
- Selecting and prioritizing additonal backlog tickets for 5.0
Thank you to all who gave us feedback so far! The feedback is being processed and iterations are underway.
Post counts on on shared taxonomy A taxonomy is a way to group things together. In WordPress, some common taxonomies are category, link, tag, or post format. https://codex.wordpress.org/Taxonomies#Default_Taxonomies. terms
Via @davecpage. There are multiple tickets open related to this:
These are all related to the taxonomy component, and we’ll currently slate them for release in 4.9.9.
Dev Chat Coordination: The Sequel
@jeffpaul is ill and will hopefully return next week. Until he’s at full strength, @joemcgill, @audrasjb, @antpb and I will continue to run dev chat.
The next meeting will take place on Wednesday, August 15, at 20:00 UTC in the #core Slack channel. Please drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss, drop a comment on next week’s agenda post, so we can take them into account.