This post summarizes the weekly dev chat meeting held Wednesday, July 18, 2018 (agenda | Slack archive).
4.9.8 Release Candidate One of the final stages in the version release cycle, this version signals the potential to be a final release to the public. Also see alpha (beta). 1
- We shipped 4.9.8 Release Candidate 1 yesterday (Tuesday, July 24). Read all about it.
- Based on feedback for the Try Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ callout (#41316), there will be an RC One of the final stages in the version release cycle, this version signals the potential to be a final release to the public. Also see alpha (beta). 2, likely released later this week.
- Because of this ☝🏻 there will also be a bug A bug is an error or unexpected result. Performance improvements, code optimization, and are considered enhancements, not defects. After feature freeze, only bugs are dealt with, with regressions (adverse changes from the previous version) being the highest priority. scrub Thursday, July 26 at 21:30 UTC, that focuses only on Betas and RC1. We’ll punt Contributors sometimes use the verb "punt" when talking about a ticket. This means it is being pushed out to a future release. This typically occurs for lower priority tickets near the end of the release cycle that don't "make the cut." In this is colloquial usage of the word, it means to delay or equivocate. (It also describes a play in American football where a team essentially passes up on an opportunity, hoping to put themselves in a better position later to try again.) anything else in 4.9.8, so this release is squeaky clean. No additional tickets, y’all.
Focus Lead and Component Maintainer Updates
- Are you wondering, “What’s new in Gutenberg?” Well, here is your answer. Thanks, @matveb for the notes.
- @joshuawold is wanting to chat with anyone who has experience with the plugins component. Specifically he’d like to get up to speed on existing work and what we need to do for future improvements. Hit him up if you fall into that category The 'category' taxonomy lets you group posts / content together that share a common bond. Categories are pre-defined and broad ranging..
Devchat Coordination Reminder
Jeff Paul will return from vacation soon, and resume PM duties for dev chat. From @whitneyyadrich, @audrasjb, @joemcgill, and @antpb — ’tis been a pleasure helping out while Jeff had some R&R!
The next meeting will take place on Wednesday, August 01, 2018, at 20:00 UTC in the #core Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss, but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account.