This post summarizes the weekly devchat meeting held Wednesday, July 11, 2018 (agenda | Slack archive)
4.9.7 Security and Maintenance Release Feedback
- WordPress 4.9.7 was released on Thursday, July 5 2018. This was a Maintenance & Security Release. Details here.
- All 4.9.7 milestone tickets were pushed to 4.9.8. The last devchat summary and some other posts on Make/Core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. have been updated to replace “4.9.7” mentions with “4.9.8”
4.9.8 Release Leads
As confirmed last week:
- Beta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process.: July 17, 2018
- RC One of the final stages in the version release cycle, this version signals the potential to be a final release to the public. Also see alpha (beta).: July 24, 2018
- Final Release: July 31, 2018
- Bug Scrubs: Monday at 14:00 UTC and Thursday at 21:30 UTC during the cycle.
4.9.8 Development Update
Updates from @pbiron:
Focus Lead and Component Maintainer Updates
Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/
- Deprecation Strategy
- WordPress package to be merged into Gutenberg
- Service Workers scope
Devchat Coordination Reminder
Jeff Paul is on vacation, so @whitneyyadrich, @audrasjb, @joemcgill, and @antpb are handling PM-y devchat duties this month: collecting agenda items, publishing an agenda, running the actual devchat meeting, and publishing a devchat summary.
The next meeting will take place on Wednesday, July 18, 2018, 20:00:00 UTC in the #core Slack channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss, but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account.