This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from June 13th (agenda, Slack archive).
Updates from focus leads and component maintainers
- The PHP The web scripting language in which WordPress is primarily architected. WordPress requires PHP 5.6.20 or higher team posted summaries from their last two meetings covering progress and decisions on #43986 and #44350 as well as the approach for #43987. Join them next week on Monday, June 18th at 15:00 UTC in #core-php as they continue the discussion on these two tickets.
- The REST API The REST API is an acronym for the RESTful Application Program Interface (API) that uses HTTP requests to GET, PUT, POST and DELETE data. It is how the front end of an application (think “phone app” or “website”) can communicate with the data store (think “database” or “file system”) https://developer.wordpress.org/rest-api/. team would like a core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. committer A developer with commit access. WordPress has five lead developers and four permanent core developers with commit access. Additionally, the project usually has a few guest or component committers - a developer receiving commit access, generally for a single release cycle (sometimes renewed) and/or for a specific component.’s review on #38323, so if you’ve got some time then please help out there.
- And a reminder for those heading to WCEU that Contributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/. is tomorrow, Thursday, June 14th. If you’re in town, then please consider attending… thanks!
- No design lead for Customize focus while @melchoyce is on sabbatical until September 10th
- @jeffpaul will be offline most of July, so we’ll need someone to help coordinate/run devchats.
- If you’re open to collecting agenda items and publishing an agenda, running the actual devchat meeting, and/or publishing a devchat summary then please comment here or ping The act of sending a very small amount of data to an end point. Ping is used in computer science to illicit a response from a target server to test it’s connection. Ping is also a term used by Slack users to @ someone or send them a direct message (DM). Users might say something along the lines of “Ping me when the meeting starts.” @jeffpaul if you’re able to help out… thanks!
The next meeting will take place on June 20, 2018 at 20:00 UTC in the #core Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account.