This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from May 16th (agenda, Slack archive).
- 4.9.6 RC2 released May 15th and no issues reported (note: 4.9.6 released 🎉)
- Please tag A directory in Subversion. WordPress uses tags to store a single snapshot of a version (3.6, 3.6.1, etc.), the common convention of tags in version control systems. (Not to be confused with post tags.) any new bugs/enhancements with `gdpr` (see: existing Trac listing)
Updates from focus leads and component maintainers
- The REST API The REST API is an acronym for the RESTful Application Program Interface (API) that uses HTTP requests to GET, PUT, POST and DELETE data. It is how the front end of an application (think “phone app” or “website”) can communicate with the data store (think “database” or “file system”) https://developer.wordpress.org/rest-api/. team has an update on their progress on closing the gap in the Gutenberg merge proposal milestone as well as notes from their office hours last week. Join them Thursdays at 17:00 UTC if you’d like to chat through any questions you have, they especially want input from long-time contributors and leads on the register_meta changes (see #38323).
- @rianrietveld posted about Pair programming on the contributors day to join accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) experts and Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ developers and work to close the 11 remaining issues in the accessibility merge proposal milestone for Gutenberg. If you are a developer that knows your way around the Gutenberg code and are going to WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Europe in Belgrade, then please ping The act of sending a very small amount of data to an end point. Ping is used in computer science to illicit a response from a target server to test it’s connection. Ping is also a term used by Slack users to @ someone or send them a direct message (DM). Users might say something along the lines of “Ping me when the meeting starts.” @rianrietveld… thanks!
- @danieltj working on merge proposal for Dark Mode (see #41928), currently working on review for the WP Coding Standards and an a11y Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) review
- @presskopp looking for UI User interface feedback on #35288, especially if “Search Engine Visibility” be reflected under Settings >> Privacy
The next meeting will take place on May 23, 2018 at 20:00 UTC / May 23, 2018 at 20:00 UTC in the #core Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account.
#4-9-6, #core, #core-i18n, #core-js, #core-restapi, #dev-chat, #gdpr-compliance, #gutenberg, #summary