This post is a summary of the latest weekly Media component meeting, which took place in the #core-media Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel, on Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 1900 UTC. The purpose of these meetings are to move priority tasks forward, provide feedback on issues of interest, and review media focused tickets on Trac An open source project by Edgewall Software that serves as a bug tracker and project management tool for WordPress..
@mikeschroder @antpb @desrosj @karmatosed @postphotos @joemcgill @sergey @chetan200891 @adamsilverstein
Transcript: Read on Slack
Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/
- The best way to follow along with media related Gutenberg items is the media label in GitHub.
- Repository milestones
- Add mediaelement component – @antpb discussed that this is currently a blocker A bug which is so severe that it blocks a release. to building the Playlist Block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience.. The component renders on the editor view and is enqueuing via client-assets.php but the script is not enqueuing on the front end. @antpb needs help figuring out the front end issue. Steps to creating a clone of the repo can be found at this comment.
- Add block playlist: Currently blocked by the inclusion of the mediaelement component.
The next part of the meeting was spent on tickets in the 4.9.5 milestone
Tickets needing testing:
- #42724 – Options media page hides breaks on desktop
Patch A special text file that describes changes to code, by identifying the files and lines which are added, removed, and altered. It may also be referred to as a diff. A patch can be applied to a codebase for testing. still needs testing.
- #42968 – Media: Grid View: new upload, file is in the wrong position in the grid until after upload is complete
Agreement all around that it is ready to commit.
- #43226 – Crop setting in thumbnails never set when uploading PDF files
Committed to trunk A directory in Subversion containing the latest development code in preparation for the next major release cycle. If you are running "trunk", then you are on the latest revision.. It was agreed that this will be fixed in 4.9.5. @mikeschroder is working on backports.
- #43255 – WP _Image_Editor::make_image leaves an output buffer open on failure
This one has been open for a while but is in need of clean up. Mentioned by @mikeschroder we "want to be sure what we do doesn't break workarounds."
Tickets up for discussion:
#43123 Default captions should NOT use max-width
@joemcgill mentioned that he thinks it is worth reverting due to unintended consequences. @mikeschroder noted that "we’ll want to be sure to message folks and give a warning if we do revert."
The next #core-media meeting is set for Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 1900 UTC Note: The time is maintained in UTC, so if you are in the US, this time may be different due to DST. We'll move the meeting time once EU has switched to DST in two weeks. Hope to see you there!