This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from December 20th (agenda, Slack archive).
- @sergey to be release lead The community member ultimately responsible for the Release., @williampatton to be deputy release lead
- @desrosj able to help with bug A bug is an error or unexpected result. Performance improvements, code optimization, and are considered enhancements, not defects. After feature freeze, only bugs are dealt with, with regressions (adverse changes from the previous version) being the highest priority. scrubs
- Tentative release timing of 1/16 for beta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process., 1/23 for RC One of the final stages in the version release cycle, this version signals the potential to be a final release to the public. Also see alpha (beta)., and 1/30 for release
Confirm definition of "minor release A set of releases or versions having the same minor version number may be collectively referred to as .x , for example version 5.2.x to refer to versions 5.2, 5.2.1, 5.2.3, and all other versions in the 5.2 (five dot two) branch of that software. Minor Releases often make improvements to existing features and functionality."
- Confirmed definition: Bugfixes and enhancements that do not add new deployed Launching code from a local development environment to the production web server, so that it's available to visitors. files and are at the discretion of the release lead with suggestions/input from component maintainers and committers.
- @jbpaul17 added that definition to the handbook for future reference (see here, here, and here)
Updates from focus leads and component maintainers
- Team Editor (Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/): They have no more meetings until January 3rd in #core-editor. The channel is of course open all the time, but meetings will resume then. They also have a request for assistance on video processing of the usability videos from WCUS. Please check the post if you’re available / have interest.
- Teams Customize and REST API The REST API is an acronym for the RESTful Application Program Interface (API) that uses HTTP requests to GET, PUT, POST and DELETE data. It is how the front end of an application (think “phone app” or “website”) can communicate with the data store (think “database” or “file system”) https://developer.wordpress.org/rest-api/. are both on hiatus through the holidays and have no updates this week.
- Multisite Used to describe a WordPress installation with a network of multiple blogs, grouped by sites. This installation type has shared users tables, and creates separate database tables for each blog (wp_posts becomes wp_0_posts). See also network, blog, site published a post about their roadmap
Meeting hiatus over holidays
- There will be a two week hiatus for devchat, final meeting for 2017 is today (December 20th). First meeting for 2018 will be January 10th.
- @presskopp looking for advice on getting patches reviewed. Advice given is to ping The act of sending a very small amount of data to an end point. Ping is used in computer science to illicit a response from a target server to test it’s connection. Ping is also a term used by Slack users to @ someone or send them a direct message (DM). Users might say something along the lines of “Ping me when the meeting starts.” component maintainers, mention it during devchat's
General announcements section, or mention it during a bug scrub.
- @schlessera looking for advice on getting something on the devchat agenda for January 10th. Advice given is to ping @jbpaul17, mention it during devchat's
General announcements section, or add it as a comment to the agenda post. Also noted that Make/Core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. posts can be a good idea for things that need some discussion and can happen at any time.
- @schlessera to work on a Make/Core post around the topic of "Servehappy project – current status and how to proceed to have the effort blessed"