This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from August 9th (agenda, Slack archive).
4.8.1 release feedback
- Forums team hasn’t had to update the “4.8 Master List” post with any problems, a relatively smooth release altogether
- No concerns identified that would require a subsequent immediate minor release A set of releases or versions having the same minor version number may be collectively referred to as .x , for example version 5.2.x to refer to versions 5.2, 5.2.1, 5.2.3, and all other versions in the 5.2 (five dot two) branch of that software. Minor Releases often make improvements to existing features and functionality.
- @melchoyce and @westonruter have assembled a list 4.9 goals
- @kadamwhite would like to see movement on REST API The REST API is an acronym for the RESTful Application Program Interface (API) that uses HTTP requests to GET, PUT, POST and DELETE data. It is how the front end of an application (think “phone app” or “website”) can communicate with the data store (think “database” or “file system”) https://developer.wordpress.org/rest-api/. backlog tickets, specifically meta Meta is a term that refers to the inside workings of a group. For us, this is the team that works on internal WordPress sites like WordCamp Central and Make WordPress. registration for object subtypes (#38323) and media permissions (#41445)
- REST API roadmap document still being assembled, but not yet published
- “Updating a plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party or theme via a ZIP file” and “drag and drop uploading of themes and plugins” are going to need support from contributors to the Upgrade/Install component
- If you have interest in helping maintain the Upgrade/Install component (or any others) please reach out to @drewapicture