This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from July 12th (agenda, Slack archive).
- @westonruter to commit #40951: Add legacy mode to Text widget to
trunk commits need to be merged into the
4.8 branch A directory in Subversion. WordPress uses branches to store the latest development code for each major release (3.9, 4.0, etc.). Branches are then updated with code for any minor releases of that branch. Sometimes, a major version of WordPress and its minor versions are collectively referred to as a "branch", such as "the 4.0 branch".
- Custom HTML HyperText Markup Language. The semantic scripting language primarily used for outputting content in web browsers. widget A WordPress Widget is a small block that performs a specific function. You can add these widgets in sidebars also known as widget-ready areas on your web page. WordPress widgets were originally created to provide a simple and easy-to-use way of giving design and structure control of the WordPress theme to the user. needs to be amended to an existing file to be part of the minor release A set of releases or versions having the same minor version number may be collectively referred to as .x , for example version 5.2.x to refer to versions 5.2, 5.2.1, 5.2.3, and all other versions in the 5.2 (five dot two) branch of that software. Minor Releases often make improvements to existing features and functionality., agreement to utilize
wp-includes/default-widgets.php solely for the benefit of 4.8.x
- Testing, especially #40907 and #40951 (testing steps)
- Beta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. – Monday, July 17th (soft string freeze, translations begin on about a dozen strings)
- RC One of the final stages in the version release cycle, this version signals the potential to be a final release to the public. Also see alpha (beta). – Monday, July 24th (hard string freeze)
- Launch – Tuesday, August 1st (🎉)
Editor / Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/
- @pbiron: proposal for a exporter feature plugin A plugin that was created with the intention of eventually being proposed for inclusion in WordPress Core. See Features as Plugins.
- @jbpaul17: will follow Features as Plugins process on this
- @drewapicture / others to help @pbiron post proposal to Make/Core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. + review content within proposal
- @jnylen0: would appreciate eyes on #39730 and #39732, aiming to land soon for 4.9