Dev Chat Summary: February 22nd (4.7.3 week 4)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from February 22nd (agendaSlack archive).

4.7.3 Schedule

  • Planning to release 4.7.3 on Monday March 6, 2017.
  • This will be a bugfix and maintenance release, nothing major.
  • Latest view of what’s in/coming in 4.7.3: Trac report
  • This date is coming up pretty soon.  Ideally anything going into 4.7.3 would already be in trunk.  So please make your remaining commits ASAP.
  • Aiming for a code freeze and release candidate either Friday, February 24th or Monday, February 27th
  • Bug scrub planned for February 24, 19:00 UTC in #core

Customizer team update

  • Looking for help on testing the Media widget (#32417: Add new core media widget) as well as proposal for a minor release
    • There will be a Translation need for this widget
    • @westonruter: I’ll do final touches on the patch via the GitHub PR to avoid stepping on each other’s toes and to run the builds. If you have anything to add to the patch, please push to the feature branch. Otherwise, I’ll manually re-sync new patch changes to the PR.
    • Additional tasks to see this land in a release:
      • 1) Search for plugins and communicate with them [@ipstenu to help]
      • 2) Test and try to break the patch in it’s current form [@jnylen0 to help]
      • 3) Confirm Forums response to the question: “why didn’t you ‘just’ use {{my existing widget}}”?
      • 4) If you have a widget that does similar things, try out compat and/or extensions [@helen to help]
      • 5) Make sure that it looks good in all default themes [@jnylen0, @melchoyce to help]
      • 6) Consider whether the widget should be extendable for plugin authors to add new types [@helen to help]
    • Likely means this won’t land in 4.7.3, but will target an upcomming minor release

Editor team update

  • Looking to continue discussion on browser support, no need for an urgent decision, but there’s been some discussion that core devs might want to be aware of and review. The current Plan B is to include an old version of TinyMCE for the browsers that will not support the new one.
  • Related post with more detail: A quick guide to browser selection models
  • A lengthy, pro/con discussion ensued. @desrosj is working to summarize everything from the conversation, will add some browser stats, and post to Make/Core for the discussion to continue
  • If you have statistics that you feel will be valuable to look at, please to send it to @desrosj and he will try to include it in the conversation summary for further discussion

REST API team update

  • The REST API team has no significant updates since last week.

Trac tickets

  • set of tickets with patches from @mte90 that are looking for review. If someone out there has some time to go through any of these for review/feedback that would be appreciated.
  • #16778: wordpress is leaking user/blog information during wp_version_check()

Community Summit

  • Between now and next Friday, the Core team needs to come up with:
    • 1) a list of topics for the summit
    • 2) A list of representatives to attend the Community Summit
    • 3) One or two contributors who are willing to help with the organization of the event
  • See also: Community Summit 2017: Sign-up Request
  • @jbpaul17 posted to Make/Core request to capture input on the three items above, will capture that input and summarize for review in next week’s dev chat, and then send the Core team response to the Community Summit team by next Friday, March 3rd. Please review the post on Make/Core and respond with your input.

#4-7-3, #dev-chat, #summary