Focus Tech and Design Leads
There are three main focuses this year: the REST API, the editor, and the customizer.
For the REST API we’re going to work on getting first party wp-admin usage of the new endpoints, and hopefully replace all of the core places where we still use admin-ajax.
The editor will endeavour to create a new page and post building experience that makes writing rich posts effortless, and has “blocks” to make it easy what today might take shortcodes, custom HTML, or “mystery meat” embed discovery.
The customizer will help out the editor at first, then shift to bring those fundamental building blocks into something that could allow customization “outside of the box” of post_content, including sidebars and possibly even an entire theme.
Each focus will have a tech lead, and a design lead, and I’ll be working closely with each to make sure we’re aligned and moving diligently in the right direction even though we don’t have the normal release hooks. These starting leads will be:
REST API: Ryan McCue and KAdam White.
Editor: Matias Ventura and Joen Asmussen.
Customizer: Weston Ruter and Mel Choyce.
Given there is no set timeline for releases that would normally set a term, these leads are free to bow out at any time they feel they can’t contribute fully and we’ll find a replacement.
You might be wondering what each lead is responsible for. The REST team gave some thought to this for their focus, and this is the list they came up with:
Tech Lead responsibilities:
- identify and ensure implementation of first-class REST API usage within WP-Admin,
- replacing/refactoring admin-ajax use.
- overall REST API architecture
- infrastructure and endpoint performance
- security at an infrastructure and endpoint (data-exposure) level
- improving authentication options and documentation
- working with the Design Lead to build new, or expand on existing, endpoints
- working with the Design Lead to address usability feedback for the infrastructure and endpoints
Design Lead responsibilities:
- usability of endpoints for internal or external clients
- usability of the infrastructure from the perspective of a API client
- working with the Editor and Customizer focus teams to collect requirements and gather feedback
- identifying ways to improve the overall experience for folks building clients or consuming endpoints (like documentation)