This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from December 7th (Slack archive).
4.7 Issues Reported
- Caches not always clearing, not something we can fix, but seems to be the most common problem
- Couple of reports around fatals related to WP_Hook, one traced to APC the cause of the other is still unknown
#39132: WP 4.7, object-cache.php breaks the site if APC is not enabled in php
- We’re unable to pinpoint why lots of folks who meet the requirements still don’t have PDF thumbnails
- Are there more specific requirements beyond “you need Imagik, ImageMagick and Ghostscript” perhaps specific versions?
- Many problems so far there have been outright lack of Ghostscript installed, so having the gs info when reporting bugs would be great
- Discussion continued on capturing ghostscript, Imagick and ImageMagick versions details via a plugin (e.g., a hidden wp-admin/debug.php, https://wordpress.org/plugins/health-check/)
- Several reports of
rest_cannot_edit and similar things from the users endpoints
- Reports of people getting denied access to the admin area, issue appears to all be caching plugins not being cleared properly
#39104: Customize: starter content home menu item needs to be a link, not a page
- This is concerning for back-compatability and needs to have a coordinated Twenty Seventeen update. The usability implications are somewhat concerning for new sites being created with 4.7.0.
#39146: plugin.php gives error on do_all_hook() function
#39150: Empty JSON Payload Causes rest_invalid_json
- Thanks to @macmanx and @clorith and all of the people volunteering in the forums! Would be great for everyone to help answer questions in the forums, its a great way to understand the problems that users are having.
- https://wordpress.org/support/view/no-replies/ is a great place to start
Support handbook as reference for those helping out
- Discussion on targeting 4.7.1 before the holidays in December 2016 or aiming for January 2017
- Timing depends heavily on the severity and type of issue(s), and not the amount of issues
- Target is to get close to a 4.7.1 RC by the end of the year
- Two bug scrubs happening this week (see the Bug Scrubs reference in Reminders section above) that will give us an idea of what’s realistically close to being ready for a December release.
- No immediate Release Lead for 4.7.1
- Handbook reference for releasing minor versions
- We failed at getting the field guide and email to plugin dev out early though. We have aimed to have that out around beta 2 and usually end up getting it out around RC the last few releases.
- We will post a general request for feedback on Make/Core to capture Retrospective input
- We will review the feedback and then present it for discussion during the dev chat on December 21st and agree on action items on how we can improve in the future