Here’s the meeting summary for this week. If I missed anything, let me know in the comments.
- Discussed #37974 and what the options were for possible implementation. Those include: theme options, nav menus and child pages.
- Mostly agreed that nav menus had a lot of positive things that could be inherited for this feature. Beside a familiar UI User interface, the internal data structure is solid and flexible for future changes and growth, and there are several ways to improve the experience to make it more discoverable, such as with menu fallbacks in the customize preview.
- Talked about “fragments” and how this feature might work when a full page is assembled via those fragments. The fragments wouldn’t be viewable on their own.
- Talked about how child pages are grouped together on the edit screen but don’t have good UI for page structure management.
- Mentioned theme options and how many themes do this kind of thing now, but it lacks portability and themes can do it in many different ways.
- Talked a bit about how themes might output the assembled content. Maybe it uses a version of
- Noticed that drag and drop ordering came up a lot – especially in relation to concepts users get in menus and widgets.
- Brought up the idea of adding other pages’ content inside a page. Pages in a page. But that could be getting too far into content block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. territory.
- Shared ideas about where this might live: in the edit screen, the Customizer Tool built into WordPress core that hooks into most modern themes. You can use it to preview and modify many of your site’s appearance settings. or a combination.
- Decided to have @karmatosed sketch out some of these ideas. Others are welcome too!
- Brought up video headers, #38172, to get more eyes on it.
- Discussed dummy content, #38114, after the official meeting. Chat archive starts here.
- Decided to research what type of content themes might need. It may be smart to divide content by theme types.