This is the jump-start post for the third week of the WordPress 4.7 release cycle. This release is off to a 🚀 start, and there are 5 weeks remaining for feature projects to be merged.
Priorities this week:
#17817: do_action/apply_filters/etc. recursion on same filter Filters are one of the two types of Hooks https://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Hooks. They provide a way for functions to modify data of other functions. They are the counterpart to Actions. Unlike Actions, filters are meant to work in an isolated manner, and should never have side effects such as affecting global variables and output. kills underlying call landed recently. Please make sure to read the associated post and test.
42 tickets currently milestoned for 4.7 need a patch A special text file that describes changes to code, by identifying the files and lines which are added, removed, and altered. It may also be referred to as a diff. A patch can be applied to a codebase for testing. or unit tests.
A Media Widget A WordPress Widget is a small block that performs a specific function. You can add these widgets in sidebars also known as widget-ready areas on your web page. WordPress widgets were originally created to provide a simple and easy-to-use way of giving design and structure control of the WordPress theme to the user. is a commonly requested feature; get involved with #32417 if you would like to make it a reality.
Core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. meetings this week:
All meetings in the WordPress Slack #core channel unless specified otherwise.
- Rest API The REST API is an acronym for the RESTful Application Program Interface (API) that uses HTTP requests to GET, PUT, POST and DELETE data. It is how the front end of an application (think “phone app” or “website”) can communicate with the data store (think “database” or “file system”) https://developer.wordpress.org/rest-api/. Weekly Chat on Monday, September 12, 2016 at 14:00 UTC in #core-restapi
- Multisite Weekly Chat on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 16:00 UTC in #core-multisite
- Editor Weekly Chat Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 18:00 UTC in #core-editor
- Weekly Dev Chat on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 20:00 UTC
- Multisite Bugscrub on Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 20.00 UTC in #core-multisite
- Themes Weekly Chat on Friday, September 16, 2016 at 18:00 UTC in #core-themes
- Media/Images Weekly Chat on Friday, September 16, 2016 at 19:00 UTC in #core-images
Things to do this week: