Current status of WordPress 4.6
- The 4.6 branch A directory in Subversion. WordPress uses branches to store the latest development code for each major release (3.9, 4.0, etc.). Branches are then updated with code for any minor releases of that branch. Sometimes, a major version of WordPress and its minor versions are collectively referred to as a "branch", such as "the 4.0 branch". was created this week.
- RC2 was scheduled for today, but because https://core.trac.wordpress.org/report/6 has so many open tickets its being delayed by 24 hours.
- The first draft of the About page was committed today. Please help review it to make it ✨ Shiny ✨
- @hugobaeta is looking for feedback on the images he’s created for the About page. The feedback will be heard and discussed in the #design weekly chat on August 4th, 2016 at 20:00 UTC.
Schedule for the next 13 days
The schedule is as follows:
- August 10 is RC3 with the hard string freeze. The about page must be finalized by then.
- August 12 will be code freeze. Everything should be done by this date. Only version bumps and the video should committed after this.
- August 15 is the dry run for WordPress 4.6. We’ll check everything, prepare w.org, do a dry run for release day, and with @davidakennedy and @karmatosed we’ll release the new versions of our default themes as well.
- And well, August 16, 2016. WordPress 4.6!
As already mentioned, a first pass is committed. Check your dashboard and let us know what you think. Maybe ask some friends who aren’t involved in the release since that’s our target group.
Call for volunteers
The call for future release leads has been published. Leading a release can be a rewarding challenge. If you have questions, feel free to ping The act of sending a very small amount of data to an end point. Ping is used in computer science to illicit a response from a target server to test it’s connection. Ping is also a term used by Slack users to @ someone or send them a direct message (DM). Users might say something along the lines of “Ping me when the meeting starts.” @jorbin or @helen. Everyone interested, please express it on the post, pinging @jorbin or @helen isn’t enough. They are more so available for answering questions. https://make.wordpress.org/core/2016/08/01/release-leads-call-for-volunteers/
Component announcements/updates and Open discussion
Currently the contributor handbook is lacking in documentation in regards to contributing via git. Core has supported git contributions for over 2 years. If you have a git work flow, use git, or have git knowledge in general, please consider looking over https://make.wordpress.org/core/handbook/contribute/ and adding docs where appropriate. Please remember that supporting git does not mean using GitHub.
Find full chat logs here: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/core/p1470254406001902