WordPress 4.6 Beta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. 1 and 2 and the future.
- Beta 2 was released today. Please test and report bugs on Trac.
- There will be two more betas and some RCs, each released at 18:00 UTC like beta 2 was.
Dev notes Each important change in WordPress Core is documented in a developers note, (usually called dev note). Good dev notes generally include:
a description of the change;
the decision that led to this change
a description of how developers are supposed to work with that change.
Dev notes are published on Make/Core blog during the beta phase of WordPress release cycle. Publishing dev notes is particularly important when plugin/theme authors and WordPress developers need to be aware of those changes.In general, all dev notes are compiled into a Field Guide at the beginning of the release candidate phase.
- Thanks to everyone who published their note today or is still working on it.
- The published posts can be found here: https://make.wordpress.org/core/tag/4-6+dev-notes/
- Posts that need to be written can be found here: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/core/p1467832210003199
Ticket Created for both bug reports and feature development on the bug tracker. milestones
For the remaining releases, the number of open tickets should be as follows:
- Beta 3: 40 tickets
- Beta 4: 10 tickets
- RC1: 0 tickets
- #37246 is the corresponding ticket and the brainstorming document can be found here.
- @hugobaeta and @karmatosed volunteered to help with design.
- @jorbin will come up with a rough draft for the content of the page.
- @joemcgill volunteered to help get responsive images into the page.
Feature project updates
There is currently an issue with the Windows system font. It displays smaller than previously. @helen and @jorbin are working on the best path forward. If further action is needed and you are a Windows user, please help test any patches/commits related to font sizing.
- There are 4 open tickets regard Shiny Updates.
- There are some issues with the Shiny Plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party Search feature and some discussion and a patch A special text file that describes changes to code, by identifying the files and lines which are added, removed, and altered. It may also be referred to as a diff. A patch can be applied to a codebase for testing. has been produced, but the design team needs to weigh in as there could be some UX User experience/UI User interface changes needed.
- The dev-note for Shiny Updates will be published shortly after dev chat.
- Shiny Updates V3 has kicked off, with the main focus being on
Component announcements/updates and Open discussion
@spacedmonkey brought up #37189, but it is considered an enhancement Enhancements are simple improvements to WordPress, such as the addition of a hook, a new feature, or an improvement to an existing feature. and the enhancement window has closed for 4.6.
The full meeting logs can be found here: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/core/p1467835204003205