Let’s have an official multisite Used to describe a WordPress installation with a network of multiple blogs, grouped by sites. This installation type has shared users tables, and creates separate database tables for each blog (wp_posts becomes wp_0_posts). See also network, blog, site kickoff chat this April 21 19:00 UTC in #core-multisite to discuss some of the things we’d like to cover in 4.6.
A few ideas to ponder…
- I’d like to reframe our weekly office hours as weekly bug A bug is an error or unexpected result. Performance improvements, code optimization, and are considered enhancements, not defects. After feature freeze, only bugs are dealt with, with regressions (adverse changes from the previous version) being the highest priority. scrubs for this cycle and see how that goes. We can keep tabs on the status of bigger initiatives throughout the week and use the weekly hour to walk through portions of the 217 open multisite tickets in Trac An open source project by Edgewall Software that serves as a bug tracker and project management tool for WordPress. that need walking through.
- I’d also enjoy moving to a new time for these weekly bug scrubs starting April 26 16:00 UTC. Earlier and easier to schedule for me. How about you?
- The REST API The REST API is an acronym for the RESTful Application Program Interface (API) that uses HTTP requests to GET, PUT, POST and DELETE data. It is how the front end of an application (think “phone app” or “website”) can communicate with the data store (think “database” or “file system”) https://developer.wordpress.org/rest-api/. team is looking for help from component maintainers to build up and maintain parts of the REST API related to those components. If this is something that interests you, let’s chat!
And the bigger initiatives already in progress:
- #35791 (previously #31148), in which we introduce
WP_Site_Query and use it throughout. 👏
- #15800, in which we DRY up a bunch of network (versus site, blog) admin (and super admin) code and enable the extension of the network admin interface.
- #34941 (and #36566) to further the testability of the multisite bootstrap process, which will in turn lead to fixing things like #17376 with greater confidence.
And now it’s your turn! Leave ideas in the comments for what we should spend time fixing or breaking in multisite for the 4.6 cycle. 😅