Version 2.0 Beta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. 5 “¡Ay, caramba!” of the REST API The REST API is an acronym for the RESTful Application Program Interface (API) that uses HTTP requests to GET, PUT, POST and DELETE data. It is how the front end of an application (think “phone app” or “website”) can communicate with the data store (think “database” or “file system”) https://developer.wordpress.org/rest-api/. is now available. Download it from the plugin repository or from GitHub.
This is a compatibility release with WordPress 4.4 Beta 1, and is required to use the plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party alongside WordPress 4.4.
Here’s some highlights:
- Load api-core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. as a compatibility library
Now api-core has been merged into WordPress trunk A directory in Subversion containing the latest development code in preparation for the next major release cycle. If you are running "trunk", then you are on the latest revision. (for 4.4) we should no longer load the infrastructure code when it’s already available. This also fixes a fatal error for users who were on trunk.
- Switch to new mysql_to_rfc3339
- Double-check term taxonomy A taxonomy is a way to group things together. In WordPress, some common taxonomies are category, link, tag, or post format. https://codex.wordpress.org/Taxonomies#Default_Taxonomies.
- Load admin (and super admin) functions
This was removed from the latest beta of WordPress in the REST API infrastructure, a more long term fix is planned.
- Add compat shim for renamed
- Compat shim for
- Revert switch to register_post_type_args filter Filters are one of the two types of Hooks https://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Hooks. They provide a way for functions to modify data of other functions. They are the counterpart to Actions. Unlike Actions, filters are meant to work in an isolated manner, and should never have side effects such as affecting global variables and output.
We have a detailed changelog as well as the full set of changes if you’re interested.