oEmbed Update: September 16th

We’re constantly refining the oEmbed feature plugin and have been receiving some very good feedback over past seven days.

The following things changed in the plugin compared to last week:

  • There are now 8 translations: Danish (Denmark), German (Germany), German (Switzerland), Japanese, Greek, English (Australia), Arabic and Arabic (Morocco).
  • Full Right-to-Left language support.
  • Various performance improvements.
  • Dashicons are now included as inline SVGs in the CSS for better IE compatibility.
  • Added new filters to the embed template, allowing for better customization

Besides that I wrote a post on make/flow about the oEmbed plugin and also pinged several teams asking for feedback. Following best practices is very important to us.

In our weekly chat on Monday we discussed several things:

  • The plugin is active on the Make blogs, but some server settings need to be changed for it to work properly.
  • We learned that the plugin runs great on several sites, even with +100k daily users!
  • To make sure the plugin works under any conditions, go give it a try and report any bugs to us.
  • There was even some “homework” for next week:

    To help test the plugin, take a couple of minutes to sit down with someone and watch them use the plugin. Take some notes, then post details and findings in a GitHub issue.

We opened a couple of issues according to the feature plugin checklist to help us get ready for the core merge window.

As always,the latest version of the plugin is available on the plugin repository. Errors and suggestions can be either reported on GitHub or our #feature-oembed Slack channel.

Next chat: September 21 2015 9pm UTC

#embeds, #feature-plugins, #feature-oembed, #update