Here’s the agenda for Wednesday’s Dev Chat in the #core channel on Slack.
- Beta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. 3 was tagged last week as scheduled and we’re heading toward tagging Beta 4 this week.
- The soft string freeze is targeted to coincide with tagging Beta 4 this week, so we need to wrap any tickets with string changes (save for the About page).
Time/Date: Wednesday 21:00 UTC 2015:
DST reminder: The dev chat time has moved up an hour to 20:00 UTC following the European DST change.
- Congrats if you got ’em for @obenland and @wonderboymusic, release leads for WordPress 4.3 and 4.4!
- Task/Enhancements Review [List]
- #31651 – Change Twemoji CDN to W.org – @pento
- #28784 – Improve the Customize experience on mobile – @ocean90
- #31233 – Dismissable admin (and super admin) notices – @helen
- #31234 – Update wp-admin default colors – @helen
- #31289 – Customizer Tool built into WordPress core that hooks into most modern themes. You can use it to preview and modify many of your site’s appearance settings.: theme switcher navigation streamlining – @ocean90
- #31769 – Prevent navigating away while plugins are updating via shiny updates – @johnbillion
- #31770 – Better feedback after bulk updating plugins via shiny updates – @johnbillion
- #31819 – Shiny updates: more sophisticated locking – @jorbin
- #31832 – Add an Emoji section to the Help tab on post edit screen – @pento
- #27115 – HTTPS HTTPS is an acronym for Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure. HTTPS is the secure version of HTTP, the protocol over which data is sent between your browser and the website that you are connected to. The 'S' at the end of HTTPS stands for 'Secure'. It means all communications between your browser and the website are encrypted. This is especially helpful for protecting sensitive data like banking information. links to wordpress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ – @johnbillion
- String Ticket Created for both bug reports and feature development on the bug tracker. Scrub [List]
- #29958 – collapse menu keyboard accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility)
- #31233 – Dismissable admin notices
- #31769 – Prevent navigating away while plugins are updating via shiny updates
- #31836 – Press This: Clean up text on tools.php
Two or more strings:
- (2) #31144 – Options general screen, accessibility improvements
- (2) #31770 – Better feedback after bulk updating plugins via shiny updates
- (3) #31722 – Shiny Updates: the aria-label should be updated to reflect the current status
Various string changes:
- #26600 – Search installed themes input has no submit button – New help text, one string split into two, new strings
- #31832 – Add an Emoji section to the Help tab on post edit screen – New help text, replaced string
- #27115 – HTTPS links to wordpress.org – Strings adjusted for links, may not need re-translating
No Open Floor this week – Due to time constraints, we won’t be holding an open floor period during the regularly-scheduled dev chat this week. If you have a ticket on the 4.2 milestone you’d like to get dev feedback on, leave a note in the comments.
Testing Stages Progress
Punt Contributors sometimes use the verb "punt" when talking about a ticket. This means it is being pushed out to a future release. This typically occurs for lower priority tickets near the end of the release cycle that don't "make the cut." In this is colloquial usage of the word, it means to delay or equivocate. (It also describes a play in American football where a team essentially passes up on an opportunity, hoping to put themselves in a better position later to try again.)/convert all non-essential enhancements to tasks
Beta 2 (120 tickets on Report 6)
Get first run of FTP FTP is an acronym for File Transfer Protocol which is a way of moving computer files from one computer to another via the Internet. You can use software, known as a FTP client, to upload files to a server for a WordPress website. https://codex.wordpress.org/FTP_Clients. credentials modal in trunk A directory in Subversion containing the latest development code in preparation for the next major release cycle. If you are running "trunk", then you are on the latest revision.
Beta 3 (90 tickets on Report 6)
Start finishing up tickets with string changes
Start About page
- Beta 4 (50 tickets on Report 6)
- Soft string freeze (all string changes completed save for the About page)
- Start finishing up the About page
- RC One of the final stages in the version release cycle, this version signals the potential to be a final release to the public. Also see alpha (beta). 1 (0 tickets on Report 6)
- About page finished
- Hard string freeze