Howdy, and welcome to this week’s installment of WordPress Core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. Weekly – covering February 26, 2015  through March 4, 2015 .
If you want to write the next WordPress Core Weekly summary, check out the schedule over at make/docs and get in touch in the #core-weekly-update Slack channel.
Let’s start with a warm welcome to our new Component Maintainers, who play an important role in the development process.
Build/Test Tools: @voldemortensen
Editor – Press This: @michael-arestad, @stephdau
I18N Internationalization, or the act of writing and preparing code to be fully translatable into other languages. Also see localization. Often written with a lowercase i so it is not confused with a lowercase L or the numeral 1. Often an acquired skill.: @SergeyBiryukov
Options, Meta Meta is a term that refers to the inside workings of a group. For us, this is the team that works on internal WordPress sites like WordCamp Central and Make WordPress. APIs: @MikeHansenMe
Themes – Customize: @voldemortensen
These maintainers are vital to keeping WordPress development running as smoothly as possible. They triage The act of evaluating and sorting bug reports, in order to decide priority, severity, and other factors. new tickets, look after existing ones, spearhead or mentor tasks, pitch new ideas, curate roadmaps, and provide feedback to other contributors.
Dev Chat Notes
This week’s Dev Chat was a lively one, with updates on the Customizer Tool built into WordPress core that hooks into most modern themes. You can use it to preview and modify many of your site’s appearance settings. and Press This (with an emphasis on accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility), hooray!), Shiny Updates (needs helping hands, see the todo list), Emoji (not just for smiles), and Accessibility (revisiting the age-old
If you missed the meeting, or need a reminder of what was discussed, take a few minutes to read the transcripts.
A couple of reminders: we’re a week away from Beta 1, and Daylight Saving Time is coming so make sure to check the time of next week’s Dev Chat so you won’t miss it!
Tickets needing a look:
It’s been a busy week with lots of commits, so let’s get into the ticket Created for both bug reports and feature development on the bug tracker. overview:
- Allow inline editing of
height parameters while previewing an embed in the media modal.  #31139
- Media modules: set
Backbone.$, instead of
jQuery, so fewer globals are imported.  #28510
- When viewing media in List mode, auto-submit the form for attachment filters when the value of a
<select> changes. This makes it behave similar to Grid mode and “feels” more performant, even though it is a full page load.  #30333
- Allow attachments to be detached from their parent in media grid and list modes.  #6820
- In the
Insert From URL state of the
Post frame, add the necessary CSS Cascading Style Sheets. for focus styles for images.  #28820
- Build: Let RTLCSS handle swapping the codes for right/left arrows from Dashicons.  #31478
- Support GIMP files in the Media Library. We already support Photoshop files.  #31146
- In the
->multi_resize() method of the
WP_Image_Editor subclasses, when looping through potential crops, we need to make sure the crop isn’t the exact same dimensions as the original image before copying it as a new crop.  #31296
- Make a new function,
wp_delete_file(). Use it.  #17864
get_media_embedded_in_content() so that it returns the media it finds in the same order that it appears in the content.  #26675
- Customize Widgets: Don’t return undefined items in getWidgetFormControls method.  #31465
- CSS: Move relevant
#sidemenu rules into
deprecated-media.css and remove the cruft.  #27956
- Persist search terms across grid/list modes.  #30583
comment_date_gmt params in
wp_new_comment().  #14279
get_next_comments_link(), ensure proper pagination when no ‘cpage’ query var is found.  #20319
wp_insert_comment() should be checking and setting
$compacted, not the non-existent
$post_data.  #21212
- decode HTML HyperText Markup Language. The semantic scripting language primarily used for outputting content in web browsers. entities before trying to insert view markers.  #31412
remove() methods, improved
getInstance(), better docs.  #31412
- Better structure; simpler “view” registration; better extensibility; better inline documentation; don’t show a placeholder for pasted link until we know the link is “embeddable’.  #31412
- Remove the (obsolete) get/setViewText methods. Update stopping/pausing of multiple ME media players.  #31412
- Autocomplete: Update CSS based on both jQuery UI User interface and general visual changes.  #31427
wp.a11y.speak() for audible alerts/updates in screen readers.  #31368
- Remove the once-placeholder-esque “tag A directory in Subversion. WordPress uses tags to store a single snapshot of a version (3.6, 3.6.1, etc.), the common convention of tags in version control systems. (Not to be confused with post tags.) hint”, which has not worked in quite some time.  #31485
- When sanitizing a URL A specific web address of a website or web page on the Internet, such as a website’s URL www.wordpress.org to redirect to, UTF-8 characters can be URL encoded, instead of being removed.  #31486
get_object_terms filter Filters are one of the two types of Hooks https://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Hooks. They provide a way for functions to modify data of other functions. They are the counterpart to Actions. Unlike Actions, filters are meant to work in an isolated manner, and should never have side effects such as affecting global variables and output. in
wp_get_object_terms().  #18828
width to be specified separately (both default to
size). Also allow arbitrary attributes on the
<img> via the
extra_attr arg.  #31469
- Permalinks: In
wp_get_attachment_url(), convert to HTTPS HTTPS is an acronym for Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure. HTTPS is the secure version of HTTP, the protocol over which data is sent between your browser and the website that you are connected to. The 'S' at the end of HTTPS stands for 'Secure'. It means all communications between your browser and the website are encrypted. This is especially helpful for protecting sensitive data like banking information. when possible.  #15928
Posts, Post Types
- List tables: Display front and posts page indicators.  #30190
- Hide irrelevant UI and display a message when editing the page for posts.  #17470
- Add missing access modifiers to
WP_Press_This.  #31456
- Add press-this.css to the list of stylesheets that are minified and to list of RTL styles.  #31373
- Make sure buttons.css is loaded before press-this.css.  #31373
- Use correct URL for update bookmarklet link.  #31461
- Go back to loading the minified bookmarklet content with
file_get_contents(). Add Grunt task to minify bookmarklet.js on precommit and update it in
/src.  #31373
- Improve handling of the data, both from the bookmarklet and from server-side parsing.  #31373
- Remove classes from suggested HTML for the editor.
- Improve the filter, pass an associative array as param.
<em> instead of
getSuggestedContent() and helpers. No need to override the global
- Replace the
press_this_source_link filters with
press_this_suggested_html that allows filtering of the link and the wrapper HTML tags.
- Backwards compatibility enhancements.
- Add missing actions for printing styles/scripts.
$hook_suffix is null, hardcode
- Restore body classes, add filter.
- Update docs for filters in script-loader.php.
- TinyMCE: set ‘directionality’ and add the LTR button when in RTL.  #31474
- RTL improvements:  #31478, #31474
- Fix and update buttons styles.  #31498
- When there is a protocol mismatch (http HTTP is an acronym for Hyper Text Transfer Protocol. HTTP is the underlying protocol used by the World Wide Web and this protocol defines how messages are formatted and transmitted, and what actions Web servers and browsers should take in response to various commands. vs. https), use server-side media detection instead of submitting a form as it triggers “Unsafe data” warning in some browsers.  #31468
- Fix selecting a post format (radio buttons) with the keyboard.  #31440
- Accessibility enhancements  #31449
- Enable scrollbars in Firefox, remove
overflow-x: hidden from the html element.  #31455
- Fix notices/errors classes.  #31456
- Fix a typo in the
$args parameter hash notation description for
add_settings_field().  #28975
- Nav menus: Better JS performance on initial load of edit screen.  #25698
- Themes: Avoid jumping when selecting a feature in the feature filter on Add Themes screen.  #31497
- Settings API An API or Application Programming Interface is a software intermediary that allows programs to interact with each other and share data in limited, clearly defined ways.: Allow passing a class to
add_settings_field() via the
$args array.  #30168, #28975
- RTL CSS generation: Switch from CSSJanus to RTLCSS.  #31332
- Run unit tests on Travis CI with PHP The web scripting language in which WordPress is primarily architected. WordPress requires PHP 5.6.20 or higher nightlies. With PHP7 in active development, this will help us identify issues there.  #31454
- Update grunt-patch A special text file that describes changes to code, by identifying the files and lines which are added, removed, and altered. It may also be referred to as a diff. A patch can be applied to a codebase for testing.-wordpress to 0.3.0.  #31466
Thanks to @abhishekfdd, @afercia, @alexkingorg, @atimmer, @azaozz, @boonebgorges, @couturefreak, @doublesharp, @DrewAPicture, @floriansimeth, @GrahamArmfield, @HarishChaudhari, @helen, @ipm-frommen, @iseulde, @joemcgill, @jorbin, @kopepasah, @kraftbj, @Michael-Arestad, @MikeHansenMe, @miqrogroove, @MomDad, @morganestes, @nacin, @ocean90, @kadamwhite, @oso96_2000, @pento, @postpostmodern, @rodrigosprimo, @scribu, @SergeyBiryukov, @sevenspark, @solarissmoke, @stephdau, @swissspidy, @valendesigns, @welcher, @westonruter, and @wonderboymusic for their contributions!