Dev Chat Summary, February 4th

Agenda

https://make.wordpress.org/core/2015/02/04/dev-chat-agenda-february-4-2015/

Chat Archive

https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/core/p1423083640001782

Decisions, Announcements

  • @drew will lead a NUX working group during the 4.2 cycle. The first chat will be held in #core-flow next Tuesday at 19:00UTC / 2:00 pm EST.
  • @ryan (hey, that’s me) will attempt to be UX lead for 2015. 🙂

Assignments

Links Mentioned

https://make.wordpress.org/core/2015/02/03/new-lead-developers-helen-and-dion/

Screen Shot

https://github.com/MichaelArestad/Press-This/issues

https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/29820

https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/12696

https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/29820#comment:43

https://make.wordpress.org/core/2015/01/26/customizer-transactions-proposal/

https://github.com/xwp/wordpress-develop/pull/61

https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/30988

https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/30936

https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/30937

https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/28599

https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/26504

https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/29079

https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/30589

https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/21616

https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/18946

https://make.wordpress.org/core/2015/02/04/new-chapters-for-ryan-and-westi/

https://www.openhub.net/p/wordpress/contributors?query=&sort=commits

Customizer Theme Switcher

drew [15:07]

Nick isn’t going to be here today or really this week, but I have an update he sent me last night:

“Lot’s of general bugfixes and fixes for the comprehensive accessibility feedback we got from the accessibility team. A couple more accessibility things pending for when I get back, but the rest of this week is basically our last chance for pre-merge testing and feedback. I’ve asked @mark to try to do a full code review of the plugin this week as well so that issues can be fixed this weekend and early next week. It shouldn’t take _too_ much time to come up with a merge patch early next week and the goal is to have a first-pass core merge pass done by the beginning of the merge window to allow for any further iterations.”

We’re heading into the start of feature merge window next week for those who have been following along with the release schedule.

mark [15:08]
I’ll gather my feedback while he’s away.

drew [15:09]
Works for me.

Press This

michaelarestad [15:09]
Press This update: TinyMCE is in. oEmbed is in. Bunches of bugs squashed. Unused code is being removed. An improved install flow is being worked on.
https://cloudup.com/cITwei0OmLI (edited)

drew [15:10]
@michaelarestad: Are there any specific areas you could use some help on between now and when the merge window opens next week?

michaelarestad [15:11]
Not that I can think of. We’re on track to make the deadline.

drew [15:11]
Excellent.

michaelarestad [15:11]
Unless you all want to install and mess with it.

drew [15:11]
I think *everyone* should install and mess with it :simple_smile:

danielbachhuber [15:12]
will it be replacing old Press This entirely, or will the two co-exist?

michaelarestad [15:12]
The plan is to replace the old one.

mark [15:12]
So the old bookmarklets will continue to work.

mark [15:12]
(with the new code)

danielbachhuber [15:12]
are you planning for feature parity?

michaelarestad [15:12]
I think @stephdau did some magic to make them work or encourage an update.

pento [15:13]
@michaelarestad: Where would you like feedback?

michaelarestad [15:13]
@pento https://github.com/MichaelArestad/Press-This/issues or in #feature-pressthis (edited)

pento [15:13]
:thumbsup:

sam [15:14]
Has it had an a11y review yet?

stephdau [15:14]
@mark: yup, I wrote the new one to also handle the previous core query string arguments

michaelarestad [15:14]
@danielbachhuber
> are you planning for feature parity?

Not total feature parity. (edited)

stephdau [15:14]
and it will suggest you upgrade to the new version of the bookmarklet

danielbachhuber [15:14]
@michaelarestad: it would be nice to communicate, in advance, which features you’re planning to drop. I’m a regular old skool Press This user, and I can’t use the new one yet

michaelarestad [15:15]
At least not for the 4.2.

michaelarestad [15:15]
Basically, all the metaboxes will be dropped.

michaelarestad [15:15]
runs.

nacin [15:15]
@danielbachhuber: why can’t you use the new one yet? In terms of testing it?

danielbachhuber [15:15]
it doesn’t work for my workflow

danielbachhuber [15:15]
I’ve opened some tickets

danielbachhuber [15:15]
and am now defaulting to it

danielbachhuber [15:16]
we don’t need to discuss in-depth here

danielbachhuber [15:16]
I’d just suggest we be up-front about it, so it doesn’t become another DFW

drew [15:17]
@michaelarestad: Your next feature chat is Thursday, correct?

nacin [15:17]
(I love the idea of simplifying features and dropping sub-features, fwiw. “Another DFW” is an excellent thing in my mind.)

azaozz [15:17]
Yeah, best to discuss in the PT chat tomorrow.

michaelarestad [15:17]
Yep.

michaelarestad [15:17]
@danielbachhuber: Mind if I ping you and ask you a few questions later?

danielbachhuber [15:17]
sure

stephdau [15:18]
@danielbachhuber: “feature parity”, “my workflow”, etc are quite relative term when rethinking a product from scratch. Give @michaelarestad more details, it’ll be helpful.

azaozz [15:18]
(Or just head on to #feature-pressthis :simple_smile:

stephdau [15:18]
and thx for the GH issues, we’re tackling them

michaelarestad [15:18]
Or that ^

drew [15:18]
Yeah, I’d say get your questions together and join the feature chat tomorrow in #feature-pressthis. 17:00 UTC I believe.

michaelarestad [15:18]
Yep.

Shiny Updates

pento [15:19]
The current status of #29820 is that @eric has done some great work cleaning up the current patch, there are a few more bits to take care of, then it can be committed. After that, it’s a free for all.

WordPress Trac [15:19]
#29820: Smooth installation and updating of plugins and themes

https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/29820

pento [15:19]
@lgladdy has started experimenting with post-install actions, which are looking promising. We need to discuss (in the ticket) how it’ll be handled for the wide range of plugins that have post-install configuration to do. Input from the plugins who have post-install config (the bbPress, BuddyPress and Jetpack to start with, perhaps) would be helpful.

pento [15:19]
I’ll post a TODO list to the ticket once the commit happens. All things going swimmingly, that’ll be today. Things going poorly, tomorrow. We’ll be doing a bit of trunk dev, but it shouldn’t be too terrible.

helen [15:20]
trunk dev sounds like a fine choice for this work.

boone [15:20]
@pento: Feel free to ping me directly about BuddyPress

jjj [15:20]
Ditto.

lgladdy [15:20]
Could someone who looks after the plugin api look at how viable #12696 would be? That could give us some nice new functionality too :simple_smile:

WordPress Trac [15:20]
#12696: Add ordering support to plugins_api() when filtered on tag or search term

https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/12696

drew [15:20]
I agree with @helen. @pento: What kind of timeline are you looking at in terms of being feature-complete in core?

tellyworth [15:21]
@lgladdy: I’ll take a look at that.

stephdau [15:21]
heheh, I stopped at “tellyworth is typing”

pento [15:21]
I found that each screen took a few hours to get working, and there’s ~5 screens left to tackle.

mark [15:22]
I have some concerns about post-install actions. Where’s most of that discussion happening?

pento [15:22]
On the ticket.

eric [15:22]
mark: https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/29820#comment:43

lgladdy [15:23]
Thanks @tellyworth :simple_smile:

Customizer Transactions

westonruter [15:26]
A prerequisite patch in #30988 was committed by @ocean90 which fixed/improved some low-level Customizer plumbing (fixed `WP_Customize_Setting::value()` and enabled access to all post data via `WP_Customize_Manager::unsanitized_post_values()`); this also added the first PHP unit tests for the Customizer (for `WP_Customize_Manager` and `WP_Customize_Setting`). Next up is the merge of my patch for #30936 which adds an actual API for registering dynamically-created settings, fixing some ugliness in the Widget Customizer implementation (and will facilitate Menu Customizer); this also adds first unit tests for `WP_Customize_Widgets`. After this patch is committed, I want to write another subset patch to specifically clean up some of the deficient PHP coding styles in the Customizer classes. And then after this, I’ll submit the remaining patch from my pull request which actually adds Customizer Transactions (#30937): this patch will include unit tests, but I’ve been holding off until I can get more feedback and validation on the approach thus far. I welcome comments at https://make.wordpress.org/core/2015/01/26/customizer-transactions-proposal/ and I *especially* welcome line comments on the PR itself: https://github.com/xwp/wordpress-develop/pull/61

Make WordPress Core
Proposal: Customizer Transactions

https://make.wordpress.org/core/2015/01/26/customizer-transactions-proposal/
You may be familiar with transactions in a database context. The idea is simple: once you start a transaction, any change made to the database in the current session will not be applied to other da…

GitHub
Customize Transactions by westonruter · Pull Request #61 · xwp/wordpress-develop · GitHub

https://github.com/xwp/wordpress-develop/pull/61
README: Customizer Transactions Proposal Next steps: Merge in #62 after committed to Core Merge in #67 after committed to Core Break out phpDoc and code style improvements into separate patch Trac tickets addressed by (or related to) this PR: #30937: Add Customizer transactions. Read writeup here. #30028: Load Customizer preview iframe with natural URL #30936: Dynamically create WP_Customize_Settings for settings created on JS client #27355: Customizer: Add framework for partial preview…

WordPress Trac [15:26]
#30988: Setting’s default value doesn’t apply on preview window

https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/30988

#30936: Dynamically create WP_Customize_Settings for settings created on JS client

https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/30936

#30937: Add Customizer transactions

https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/30937

westonruter [15:26]
sorry for the noise

stephdau [15:27]
that was strangely well structured, actually :simple_smile:

nacin [15:27]
Yeah, that was great

drew [15:28]
@westonruter: Thanks for the update. Were you looking for help/testing in any specific areas other than code review?

westonruter [15:29]
Code review primarily.

nacin [15:29]
@westonruter: Happy to glance at anything that you feel is particularly sticky.

westonruter [15:30]
@nacin: the user caps for the `wp_transaction` post type please

nacin [15:31]
Is that post type set? Is it designed to cover more than just customize transactions?

nacin [15:31]
(I am curious.)

westonruter [15:31]
it uses the Customizer API to manage the updating of the transaction data

and when the transaction is applied, it uses the Customizer’s settings for handling the persisting of the data in WP

westonruter [15:32]
e.g. an `option` setting gets saved into an `option`, a `theme_mod` setting gets saved into a `theme_mod`, etc

westonruter [15:33]
custom setting types can be added to handle anything else, of course

westonruter [15:33]
so in this way anything can be added to a transaction, since anything can be added to the Customizer

knutsp [15:34]
Is it wise to use a post type for non content data?

drew [15:34]
@westonruter: @nacin: If you don’t mind, I’d kind of like to keep the agenda moving. Maybe you could continue over in #core-customize after devchat?

nacin [15:34]
Yep. I just wanted the quick hit.

westonruter [15:35]
@knutsp: it is content data (the values of the settings)

Weekly Hit-List Recap: Accessibility

Instead of listing out all of the tickets on these lists, I’d like to simply recap where we are since Monday.

drew [15:36]
*— Accessibility*

drew [15:37]
Seems like 30486 needs a patch that still covers removing title attributes per @ocean90‘s earlier comment.

obenland [15:37]
26600 also needs a patch

drew [15:38]
^

drew [15:38]
I think @azaozz followed up on the commit candidate, and the other two are still being worked by the accessibility teams.

drew [15:39]
@afercia: You had two tickets you wanted to toss out for ui-feedback, correct?

azaozz [15:39]
Yeah, need to clear up some minor details then commit (edited)

drew [15:39]
_crescendo_

afercia [15:40]
yup thanks @drew about 30486 my bad, I think I posted a new comment but forgot to upload the updated patch :simple_smile:

afercia [15:41]
hello everyone. first of all we would like to say a big thanks to @celloexpressions not only he already fixed many of the issues we’ve found, he’s also a lovely guy and he’s been very very patient with us :simple_smile:

afercia [15:42]
that’s about the Customizer Theme Switcher of course

drew [15:42]
For the uninitiated, @afercia represents the Accessibility team at devchat :simple_smile:

afercia [15:42]
we still have to test Press This and Shiny Updates waiting for them to be in a stable state

afercia [15:43]
thanks :simple_smile:

afercia [15:43]
and yep we have 2 tickets we need feedback about, we’re blocked right now

drew [15:44]
Thanks for the update @afercia.

afercia [15:44]
first one is more about an official decision: yea/nay
#28599 – Better visual focus indication in Admin Menu

WordPress Trac [15:44]
#28599: Better Visual Focus Indication in Admin Menu

https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/28599

afercia [15:45]
we would like to know if the general idea is officially accepted or not, so we can move on, refine the patch, do whatever change we wiil be asked to do or just drop itould like to know if the general idea is officially accepted or not, so we can move on, refine the patch, do whatever change we wiil be asked to do or just drop it

afercia [15:45]
second one #26504 – Semantic elements for non-link links (see comment 11) we need UI feedback

WordPress Trac [15:45]

#26504: Semantic elements for non-link links

https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/26504

afercia [15:45]
that’s it, thanks very much :simple_smile:

drew [15:46]
@helen: Can you possibly take a look at that and follow up on the ticket?

afercia [15:46]
copy pasting issues

helen [15:48]
@drew: to which? the non-link links one was closed, awaiting specific tickets to be opened.

sam [15:49]
I think 28599 is the one that needs the attention.

drew [15:49]
Yeah, sorry @helen.

helen [15:49]
we talked about it earlier, but yes, will come back to it.

Weekly Hit-List Recap: Mobile

drew [15:46]
*— Mobile*

drew [15:47]
We’ve already made some good progress on the mobile hit-list this week. One ticket closed fixed, another unfortunately maybelater. The two remaining ones, 29906 & 29989 could both use patches updated from feedback.

Community Initiative

drew [15:50]
*3. 4.2 Community Initiative*

drew [15:50]
I wanted to take an opportunity to mention that I’ll be leading a NUX working group during the 4.2 cycle.

We’ll be largely focusing on improving the new user experience in the WP admin.

drew [15:52]
We already have buy-in from a number of individuals in the wider WP community as well as the training team.

mikehansenme [15:52]
@drew I can help with that

drew [15:53]
@mikehansenme: Excellent.

johnbillion [15:53]
What does the new user experience cover? Everything from install to writing a first post? Just install?

johnbillion [15:53]
Post-install?

drew [15:53]
Pretty much everything, though I think we’ll likely be pretty focused on post-install.

The primary goal of the working group will be to identify common pain points and make recommendations about possible solutions.

drew [15:55]
I’ll be posting something on make/core a little bit later today with information about how that’s going to work. But our first chat will be held in #core-flow next Tuesday at 19:00UTC / 2:00 pm EST.

jerrysarcastic [15:56]
Sweet!

liljimmi [15:56]
I’m going to have 25 new users in a class on Saturday, will your post have guidelines on how to report on a pain point?

drew [15:56]
@liljimmi: Absolutely.

liljimmi [15:56]
Awesome

drew [15:57]
The idea is to (re)start the conversation about improving new user experiences in WordPress. There are many areas we can define actionable goals and I look forward to whatever progress we can make.

drew [15:57]
We’re making pretty good time today.

Open Floor

obenland [15:58]

29079 and 30589 are pretty much ready for commit

If a committer could look those over that would be great

#29079: themes_api_result filter should use original arguments

https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/29079

#30589: Comments navigation template tags

https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/30589

drew [16:01]
@dd32: Maybe you could glance at 29079?

obenland [16:01]
I’ve also prepared a make/core post to notify plugin authors about this change

drew [16:02]
@obenland: Which change specifically?

obenland [16:02]
the filter arguments in 29079

dd32 [16:02]
Will do

afercia [16:04]
@drew @helen about 26504 – non-link links – please consider that new specific tickets were not created yet, so that’s still the reference ticket and the only place were we can post comments at the moment. Maybe should be reopened.

trishasalas [16:04]
#21616 is ready to go and #18946 is ready pending final review. It would be awesome if a committer could look them over.

WordPress Trac [16:04]
#21616: add-textdomain doesn’t conform to WP coding standards
https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/21616

#18946: Too long tags make the cross not moving anymore.
https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/18946
ipstenu [16:04]
@obenland: All the plugins listed in that ticket have already been directly notified.

obenland [16:04]
Awesome!

drew [16:05]
@nacin: Could you review 21616?

drew [16:05]
And @azaozz could you review 18946?

azaozz [16:05]
yeah, looking

nacin [16:07]
@drew: sure.

Announcements

nacin [16:11]
Many years ago, Matt added Ryan as a lead developer. Matt and Ryan added Mark. Matt, Ryan, and Mark added Peter. Matt, Ryan, Mark, and Peter added Andrew. Those five added me. The current group added Helen and Dion, as of yesterday.

nacin [16:11]
(Yay Dion and Helen. I saw the :fireworks: earlier.)

nacin [16:12]
I just posted something new: https://make.wordpress.org/core/2015/02/04/new-chapters-for-ryan-and-westi/

Make WordPress Core
New chapters for Ryan and Westi
WordPress lead developers Ryan Boren (@ryan) and Peter Westwood (@westi) started contributing to WordPress more than a decade ago. Ryan and Peter, along with Mark and Matt, served as the foundation…

@boren and @westi are stepping back and letting new folk take more of the reins.

nacin [16:13]
In particular:
> Peter will be moving to a dormant/inactive/emeritus status. We hope to have him back when his life and work allows. In the meantime, you may see him committing a bug fix here and there, as he is wont to do.

And, a bit of a buried lede here:
> Ryan has been focusing all of his energy on improving UX for more than a year, especially for mobile and touch devices, and especially for workflows like media management. So I’m pleased to say he’ll continue to do that: *Ryan will be spearheading UX for WordPress in 2015.* It’s been a while since we’ve had someone truly focusing on just UX, so this is really exciting.

#meeting