Dev chat summary for July 16, 9, and 2
We haven’t posted weekly summaries in a bit, so here’s a summary of the last three dev chats.
- Beta 1: Shipped last Thursday, July 10. Feedback has been good so far.
- Beta 2: Planned for tonight, July 17. @azaozz updated TinyMCE prior to release. Pending a couple of changes (or not) that @nacin is looking at: #22023 + #5809 and cookies tied to sessions (#20276).
- Testing: Especially want feedback on the following things: plugin modals on many screens + accessibility devices, wpviews, customizer panels, media grid, install language flow.
- Tickets: Generally under control, but still need more area-specific triage.
In general, 4.0 is shaping up with two distinct groups of focuses: editing + platform & writing + global.
Area specific updates:
- Media Grid: Progress update from June 27. Reviews have been good but some help was needed on architectural reviews/revisions, CSS, keyboard accessibility. Attachment details will be tightened up (#28844).
- Plugins: Progress update posted from June 28. Some API changes will take place so we can improve the Install Plugins page with groups of featured plugins. Need i18n attention on the plugin install page, but generally in good shape.
- Customizer: we have panels now, some decisions need to be made about close vs. cancel language and possibly moving to a close icon + AYS
- i18n: Progress update from July 2. Need help to complete things.
- oEmbed: placeholders were added for when embeds are needed but not available—when the admin is SSL and a user pastes non-SSL embed URL, we try to get the SSL, if that fails, we try the non-SSL, if successful, we show the placeholder—the url in the post_content stays as pasted.
- Other updates: Feedback will be posted about URL encoding with media_sideload_image(). Still looking at sessions; possible a schema change or two in there.
As always, daily bug scrubs happen at 15:00 UTC.