Summary of 6/25 dev chat (IRC log):
- Beta 1 is being pushed back to July 9 from July 2, with each successive beta and RC 1 also pushing back a week. The schedule has been updated.
- oEmbed (@azaozz), i18n / language packs (@nacin), media grid (@ericlewis), and plugin installer (@tellyworth) should each have an update post published here before the weekend, outlining what has been done thus far, next steps, points needing discussion, and relevant tickets.
- Each of the above should have a new patch ready by Monday. Across the board, it would be nice to see more work-in-progress patches — props @ericandrewlewis for recent patches on the media grid ticket
Daily scrubs in #wordpress-dev happening at 15:00 UTC.
@johnbillion would like to help coordinate people who are given time by their employers to work on WP; Make/Core post forthcoming.
- Recent updates to oEmbed: previews in the editor, media modal, added a bunch of providers
- Todos: SSL, script sandboxing, caching improvements, UI/UX tweaks
- Two thirds of our supported providers don’t support SSL: #28507
@sams suggested SSL should be a requirement for oEmbed providers going forward (have since revised to an important consideration for the time being).
- Insecure iframes and/or insecure contained content will be blocked by newer Chrome and Firefox.
- Two options: placeholder or a nonced, authed, proxied iframe.
- For Monday: Placeholder fallback for SSL admin and non-SSL oEmbeds.
- Haven’t seen any movement since last week, a lot is listed out on ticket: https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/28577#comment:8
- For Monday: Patch showing where we are now.
- A quick phase 2 of the media grid is going forward
- Media Grid needs a fair amount of work, not user testable yet.
- Reminder: watch out for strings like “Edit Media” (#) won’t work well for long translations, i.e. ru_RU.
- For Monday: A user-testable patch.
Screenshots for possibly comparable things.
@tellyworth is working on plugin-install.php and @stephdau is working on the details modal / page.
- Next: Need to discuss what kind of data is most helpful to display for users when they are trying to figure out which plugin it is they want.
- For Monday: @tellyworth and @stephdau will post patches in progress.
With thanks (again) to @designsimply for note collation.