Here’s a quick summary of yesterday’s meeting (IRC log), as a status report on WordPress 3.9:
Beta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. 1 will now be the week of March 3, a week later. The rest of the schedule is unchanged. I felt the extra week of alpha would be helpful given all of forward momentum right now, and others seemed to agree.
It was decided to green-light the widget customizer plugin for merge. If all goes well, it’ll be in 3.9 final. There’s still a lot to do: some UI User interface polishing, deeper code review, etc. — and surely it will get a lot of testing.
Quick hits raised in the meeting:
- Settings review is in the ideas/sketch/wireframe stage. They have a meeting today. (@jenmylo, @melchoyce)
- Lots of audio/video changes landed. Needs review on #27026 and UI feedback on #26631. (@wonderboymusic)
- Work continues bringing the image editor into the media manager. #21811. (@gcorne, @tomauger)
- TinyMCE/editor: modals are getting redesigned. #26952. (@melchoyce, @avryl) QUnit tests are being added. #27014. (@azaozz) @gcorne also sunk some time into MCE views, for gallery rendering.
- THX plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party is being revived to take a crack at the theme install screen. If it works out, these patches could land in 3.9. (@matveb)
- A Grunt patch A special text file that describes changes to code, by identifying the files and lines which are added, removed, and altered. It may also be referred to as a diff. A patch can be applied to a codebase for testing. tool needs testing. #27023. (@jorbin)
- Some refactoring of the multisite Used to describe a WordPress installation with a network of multiple blogs, grouped by sites. This installation type has shared users tables, and creates separate database tables for each blog (wp_posts becomes wp_0_posts). See also network, blog, site bootstrap will begin this week. #27003. (@jeremyfelt)
- Volunteer(s) wanted: If anyone wants to work on expanding autocomplete in core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress., there is some work in that area to be done. @helen will help shepherd.
We have a few more weeks of alpha, so it’s a great time to help with writing or testing a patch for WordPress 3.9. We’ll be keeping the tempo quick. Expect lots of changes.