Here’s a quick summary of yesterday’s meeting (IRC log), as a status report on WordPress 3.9:
Beta 1 will now be the week of March 3, a week later. The rest of the schedule is unchanged. I felt the extra week of alpha would be helpful given all of forward momentum right now, and others seemed to agree.
It was decided to green-light the widget customizer plugin for merge. If all goes well, it’ll be in 3.9 final. There’s still a lot to do: some UI polishing, deeper code review, etc. — and surely it will get a lot of testing.
Quick hits raised in the meeting:
- Settings review is in the ideas/sketch/wireframe stage. They have a meeting today. (@jenmylo, @melchoyce)
- Lots of audio/video changes landed. Needs review on #27026 and UI feedback on #26631. (@wonderboymusic)
- Work continues bringing the image editor into the media manager. #21811. (@gcorne, @tomauger)
- TinyMCE/editor: modals are getting redesigned. #26952. (@melchoyce, @avryl) QUnit tests are being added. #27014. (@azaozz) @gcorne also sunk some time into MCE views, for gallery rendering.
- THX plugin is being revived to take a crack at the theme install screen. If it works out, these patches could land in 3.9. (@matveb)
- A Grunt patch tool needs testing. #27023. (@jorbin)
- Some refactoring of the multisite bootstrap will begin this week. #27003. (@jeremyfelt)
- Volunteer(s) wanted: If anyone wants to work on expanding autocomplete in core, there is some work in that area to be done. @helen will help shepherd.
We have a few more weeks of alpha, so it’s a great time to help with writing or testing a patch for WordPress 3.9. We’ll be keeping the tempo quick. Expect lots of changes.