Features as Plugins: Register Your Interest
Three of the features in the upcoming WordPress 3.8 release were developed first as feature plugins:
- MP6, the new visual style for the admin area
- THX38, the new theme management experience
- DASH, the refreshed dashboard screen
Feature plugins are regular plugins whose ultimate aim is to be put forward as new features for future versions of WordPress. This model allows for efficient, collaborative development over longer periods of time, and a certain amount of visibility among people who help develop for core. The status of existing feature plugins can be seen here.
This post is a call for people who are planning on working on feature plugins in the near future to make themselves known in the comments. People who would like to pro-actively help out should then comment on individual comment threads.
If you are a developer, designer, or curator who’d like to act as a project lead for (or at least take a primary role in) the development of a feature plugin, please leave a top-level comment on this thread with the following information:
- A brief (one paragraph) overview of your feature plugin proposal.
- Current plugin status (idea stage, planning stage, under development, existing feature plugin, prior work, etc).
- Your role in the plugin (developer, designer, lead, etc).
- What you’d like help with (scoping, planning, wireframing, development, design, etc).
- A top secret magic code name for your plugin (optional).
Please note that this thread is not for putting forward ideas for things unless you are planning on taking an active and primary role in its development. This is an organisation thread, not an ideas thread.
Anyone who’d like to collaborate on any of the plugins listed in the comments should leave a reply to the corresponding comment indicating your interest and what you can help out with.
Bear in mind this is not a list of potential features for WordPress 3.9, or indeed any other particular future release. Feature plugins are not tied to any specific release and will only be considered for potential inclusion in core once they reach a certain level of completeness.
We’ll see how this list pans out over the next few days and go from there! It’s expected that we’ll organise some IRC meetings in due course.