I’m really excited to see our editorial flow get some love in the 3.6 cycle! We always want to be as extensible as possible and post statuses are one of those places where we’re not near as good as we should be. The plan goes something like this:
- Fully support the existing register_post_status() API in core
- Make sure things don’t break when you add your own custom statuses
- Update the metabox UI to show any newly registered statuses in the drop down, etc.
- Add a ‘moderation’ flag so that unpublished statuses can be explicitly identified
- Support for non-standard public post statuses
- Enhance the existing API
- Add support for registering post statuses to specific post types
- Allow for caps checks on different post statuses
- New remove_post_status() function for removing an already-registered post status
- Editing workflow for already published content
Additionally, we hope to address some issues around post meta for revisions, which is tightly related to the workflow for already published content.
@markjaquith and I have chosen Daniel Bachhuber to lead this. If you’re not sure why, just Google WordPress Edit Flow and it’ll all make sense. There’s a lot of heavy-duty under the hood work here, so please leave a comment if you’re interested in lending a hand.