The current list of post formats is on the Codex page: https://codex.wordpress.org/Post_Formats
- aside – Typically styled without a title. Similar to a Facebook status update.
- chat – A chat transcript.
- gallery – A gallery of images.
- link – A link to another site.
- image – A single image.
- quote – A quotation.
- status – A short status update, usually limited to 140 characters. Similar to a Twitter status update.
- video – A single video.
Edit: audio has also been added as our final post type.
There has been suggestion of an “audio” format, which makes sense given the other multimedia posts. Another one recently suggested to me was a “code” format, which I could get behind.
I know we changed “photo” to “image” to be more generic, but I’m thinking we should change it back, and define a gallery as a gallery of photos. Not that you couldn’t use images there as well, but our target here is photos in particular, I’d imagine.
We need to make sure we get these right the first time, so if you have a suggestion, you should weigh in. I’ll be sending a link to this post out to a number of theme developers to hear their insights based on their experiences.
As a reminder, the main focus of this feature is portability and standardization, thus, custom formats are not being supported by the API. (For more, see Mark’s post and the comments.)