It is time to begin the process of selecting a new community team representative for 2024.
Along with the recommendation for Community Team Reps for 2024, there is a proposal for the composition of Community Team Reps.
In the WordPress open source Open Source denotes software for which the original source code is made freely available and may be redistributed and modified. Open Source **must be** delivered via a licensing model, see GPL. project, each team has one or two (or more!) representatives. On the Community team, there were two reps until last year, and three this year, who committed to their roles for a full calendar year.
Team reps are responsible for communicating on behalf of the group to the other contributor groups via weekly updates, as well as occasional chats.
As a reminder, it is not called “team lead” for a reason. While the people elected as team reps will generally come from the pool of folks that people think of as experienced leaders, the team rep A Team Rep is a person who represents the Make WordPress team to the rest of the project, make sure issues are raised and addressed as needed, and coordinates cross-team efforts. role is designed to change hands regularly.
This role does have a time commitment attached to it, at least one hour a week. The main tasks include:
- Writing the agenda for the Community Team meetings
- Run the chat
- Write the recap and post it in
- Keep an eye on the moving parts of the team and provide reports for quarterly updates.
Proposal for Community Team Reps Structure
The mechanics of Team Reps vary from team to team at Make WordPress. The process of appointment, the number of years of service, etc.
The three members of this year’s Team Reps ( @mysweetcate, @leogopal and @nukaga ) propose the following modifications with reference to the structure of other teams.
- Fix Team Reps to 3 instead of 2
- Change the number of years in office from one to two years (step down is possible if desired), with one or two of the three remaining the following year to facilitate continuity
What we realized when we took office was that a year goes by very quickly and there comes a time when you get used to it and then it is time to change.
We also felt that having three Reps made it easier for someone to fill in if someone was not available.
We would like to move forward with this agenda item along with recommendations for the upcoming Reps.
How Community Team Rep elections work
Following our election process last year, the Community team is planning on these key steps:
- Call for Nominations: Anyone can nominate a Community team rep! The deadline is 2023-11-13.
- Voting for Team Reps: We will open a poll for voting on 2023-11-20. The poll will stay open for three weeks, and close on 2023-12-15. We will then be able to announce our new team reps before the end of 2023!
I would also be happy to receive comments on the proposal by November 6, which is the time frame for 1.
Call for Community Team Rep nominations and Comments on the proposal
Please nominate people for Community team rep in the comments of this post by 2023-11-6. Self-nominations are welcome.
- What do you think of the number of Team Reps?
- What do you think about the term of office of Team Reps?
- Please give the name of the person you would like to recommend to Team Reps.
You do not have to answer all of the questions 1 through 3. Just comment on the areas you are interested in.
If you get nominated, you do not have to say yes! We will only add people who respond positively to a nomination to the poll, so feel free to decline a nomination if you don’t feel like this is the right fit for any reason.
Finally, if you have any questions, please also feel free to ask in the comments.