Toward the end of last year, the global community team A group of community organizers and contributors who collaborate on local events about WordPress — monthly WordPress meetups and/or annual conferences called WordCamps. requested suggestions for Community team goals for 2021! To help sort through all the many, excellent goals received, and to give more information to tasks, the Community team held open discussion sessions throughout January. Major kudos to all the community deputies Community Deputies are a team of people all over the world who review WordCamp and Meetup applications, interview lead organizers, and generally keep things moving at WordCamp Central. Find more about deputies in our Community Deputy Handbook. and members who participated!
The community suggested a total of 33 goals, which deputies Community Deputies are a team of people all over the world who review WordCamp and Meetup applications, interview lead organizers, and generally keep things moving at WordCamp Central. Find more about deputies in our Community Deputy Handbook. have sorted into five, overarching goals:
- Improve communication within the Community team
- Support event organizers
- Increase training and support for deputies and mentors Someone who has already organised a WordCamp and has time to meet with their assigned mentee every 2 weeks, they talk over where they should be in their timeline, help them to identify their issues, and also identify solutions for their issues.
- Revisit and improve tools and resources
- Give visibility, support, and appreciation to contributors
Additionally, goals were sorted into two categories:
Ongoing focus areas: A number of suggested goals centered around building stronger team culture, or areas that require ongoing support and teamwork.
Action Items for 2021: A number of goals were task-based, action items that support ongoing focus areas. Deputies gave thought to which action items could be addressed in the first versus second half of this year.
Many of these goals are big, ambitious goals, and while The Community team hopes to make as much progress as possible, the team also knows that things may not happen as planned. The team will revisit these goals after Q2 2021 to reassess action items for the remainder of the year.
Help the Community Team achieve our 2021 goals!
Are you interested in helping us out this year? Awesome! Here are some suggested next steps:
- Click on “Read more” below to learn more about our 2021 goals.
- Share in comments the top three items you are interested in contributing to.
- Participate in the next Community Team meeting on February 18, 2021, 11:00 UTC and February 18, 2021, 20:00 UTC in the #community-team channel on Slack to connect with other contributors working on similar goals.
If you would like to see more context for these goals, please visit the public Trello board.
The Community team will also need contributors to coordinate and organize efforts! If you have the time to take on this role, please share in comments which goals you would like to help lead.
Thank you to @sippis, @harishanker, @afshanadiya, @nao, @andreamiddleton, @camikaos for helping to write this summary!
Read on to learn all about our 2021 goals in more detail!