For the second half of this year, I’ve been working on improving the overall Community Team experience with a particular focus on the onboarding experience. I stared by updating the Welcome Box, moved on to the sidebar A sidebar in WordPress is referred to a widget-ready area used by WordPress themes to display information that is not a part of the main content. It is not always a vertical column on the side. It can be a horizontal rectangle below or above the content area, footer, header, or any where in the theme., cleaned up the Team Projects, and then dove into the Handbooks.
With the Handbooks:
- simplified the language
- made information easier to find
- updates to the content as needed
- created evergreen information where I could (that’s reusable content not tied to a date)
- I prioritized the Meetup Meetup groups are locally-organized groups that get together for face-to-face events on a regular basis (commonly once a month). Learn more about Meetups in our Meetup Organizer Handbook. Organizer handbook to help our Meetup Reactivation teams and the general Community Team handbook as it’s the heart of who we are (and short).
The Meetup Organizer handbook now has
- a Table of Contents
- numbered pages (at least internally)
- easier-to-find information particularly about getting started and stepping down
Basically, I continued to add documentation to answer questions and fill in gaps where I could, something our entire team has been committed to this year, and will continue as long as we’re here.
Finally, all of the COVID guidelines are updated and pointed to more evergreen locations. Thanks, @patricia70, for noticing that needed to be done!
In fact, I’d like to thank everyone who’s offered opinions and suggested improvements throughout the year. Please keep it up! For now, if you see an area that could be improved, please feel free to leave a comment on this post. Updates won’t be my main focus for 2023, but it’s something I’d like to continue working on.
I’m also excited to continue improving our onboarding experiences. I have some small ideas that I hope will be quite fun, and I’m always open to suggestions!