Getting out of Gutenberg Screens on

Update: Gutenberg is no longer set as the default editor, and all of the add/edit links will take you to the classic editor.

To add a new post/page with Gutenberg, navigate to the All Posts screen, then click on the down arrow on the Add New button, then click on the Gutenberg link.

To edit an existing post with Gutenberg, browse to the All Posts screen, hover your mouse over the post’s row, and click on the Gutenberg Editor link.

If you are an organiser of a WordCamp, you may have seen that the Gutenberg Editor plugin was installed after some discussion on this p2.

Since Gutenberg version 1.5, the Gutenberg editor has now become the default editor on all WordCamp sites and has led to some confusion.

We understand that if you are in the midst of an upcoming WordCamp in the near future, you may not want to get to grips with the new editor – so I have complied the following instructions on how to get back to the Classic Editor on

Adding a New Post or Page

To add a new post using the classic editor, please do the following:

  1. Go to the All Post screen in the admin panel.
  2. Click on the arrow to the right of Add New label.
  3. Select Classic Editor

Screenshot showing where the steps to add a new post with the classic editor is.


To add a new page using the classic editor, please do the following:

  1. Go to the All Pages screen in the admin panel.
  2. Click on the arrow to the right of Add New label.
  3. Select Classic Editor

Editing a Post or Page

To edit a post using the classic editor, please do the following:

  1. Go to the All Posts screen in the admin panel.
  2. Hover over the title of the post you wish to edit.
  3. Select Classic Editor.

Screenshot showing where the steps to edit a new post with the classic editor is.


To edit a page using the classic editor, please do the following:

  1. Go to the All Pages screen in the admin panel.
  2. Hover over the title of the page you wish to edit.
  3. Select Classic Editor.

Already in a post/ page and want to switch to the classic editor?

Add &classic-editor to the end of the address  in your browser.

Before adding code: Image showing the address bar with Gutenber experience.


After adding `&classic-editor` code to the address bar: Image showing the address bar with classic editor experience.

On a screen where the URL ends with .php or / and want to switch to the classic editor?

Add ?classic-editor to the end of the address  in your browser.



Please remember if you have any feedback for the Gutenberg team, they would love to hear from you! There is a link under the Gutenberg menu item in the admin panel of your WordCamp site.


Quick Links:

Feedback & Support Questions :

Gutenberg Documentation:




Proposal for new feature on sites to hide certain pages from WordPress/Search Engine search results.

The Problem

In Orange County, we organize a golf tournament for the day before WordCamp. The page I’d want to hide from WordPress search is a confirmation page with details about the event for the subset of attendees who are going to that event. It’s nothing secret, just didn’t want it to be confusing for other attendees if they were searching for “golf” looking for the announcement post about the golf tournament and found the confirmation page I created.

In discussions on #meta-wordcamp another related use case was brought up by @kcristiano:

Another use case I’ve had is posting Speaker, Volunteer info, and sponsor information to the site. Much easier for those folks to find nothing “secret” beyond perhaps the date/time of volunteer event. We don’t put the page in the menu, the url is given to those who need it. Would be nice to not have search engines index and wp search not find it. Keeps all the info in the site (as opposed to Gdocs).

The Proposal

  • Create a checkbox in the publish metabox with a label “Don’t show this page in search results” (or similar messaging)
  • Create a filter on search results query to exclude pages with the meta key we store for the checkbox.
  • Create a filter on all related json api endpoints to exclude pages with the meta key we store for the checkbox.
  • Add noindex tags to pages that have the checkbox selected

Please weigh in with your thoughts on the usefulness/need for this feature.

#wordcamps #feature-request

Progress update: New WordCamp theme “CampSite 2017”

As announced in a previous post, this year’s WordCamp Europe team is working on a new WordCamp base theme for the community. We’re calling it “CampSite 2017”. Since the announcement was made, we were able to gather initial feedback (which was primarily positive), solidify and further develop our ideas. I’d like to share our progress with you today to hear your feedback and thoughts.


After we heard your feedback from our introduction post, we made a list with all common pages, components, shortcodes used, etc. each WordCamp site would need. We then created and started refining wireframes of the main page templates (you can click through the different pages by opening the sitemap button on the top left of the online tool).

For the homepage we put the emphasis on flexibility and being able to tease to different content rather than having a very long blogroll (as often seen on WordCamp sites). This allows us to surface important content, feature relevant calls-to-action (like Call for Speakers, Buy your ticket, Call for Sponsors, etc.). We did want to include latest blog posts, but limited the number on the homepage. The layout is created mainly with widgeted areas where we allow for some additional flexibility (see “Widget Area Top 1” + “2”, where you can use one or both depending on your needs).

Attendees page:
We’re working on extending the attendees page shortcode to include pagination and a search functionality. Bernhard published a meta post about it.

Speakers page:
On the speakers page we were playing with different grids and types of information to output. Since the event organizers can include different fields / types of information for speakers, they can also decide what to output here. We’ll achieve this by extending the speakers shortcode and will publish a meta post with all the details soon.

Speakers bio page:
We’d like to include a little more information around speakers on this page. We would find it very useful to have prominent links to a speaker’s website and social profile. We furthermore feel that it would be very helpful to see the talk a speaker is giving would be shared on their speaker bio page, instead of having to click one more time to see their full talk info, as well as a link to the slides and talk video (once available). To achieve this will will create a new page template.

Here we’d like to provide a simple footer with just the social links or an extended footer with additional widget areas for menus and other links.

General layout templates:
Furthermore we’ll create the following general layout templates that can be used for any regular content page on the WordCamp site:

The Theme Repo – work in progress

We’re using the latest version of Underscores as a base for the theme and setup a repo on Github for the theme. As pointed out in the previous post, most features implemented in the default theme were widgets areas. As shown in the wireframes, we will add some widget areas in the new theme, but with more specific positions. The new page templates will help with some special pages, like the speakers list and bio page or the homepage. A first version with the new templates will be published next week.


Accessibility will be an important aspect of the new CampSite 2017 theme. We’re planning on implementing A11y standards and once the theme is ready for testing would love the community’s help to do a separate A11y testing phase. We’ve received some feedback from the A11y team about the biggest issues of the current theme and the things that Underscores is still lacking. We will take some A11y changes from TwentySeventeen and integrate them into the new theme and ask the A11y for additional feedback, once the prototype is available.

PS: Style Guide

As mentioned in the announcement posts, the CampSite 2017 theme will be shipped with only minimal CSS so you can use it as a starter theme and add all your own CSS styles if you like. But we will also ship an accompanying style guide with full CSS styling open source. The style guide can be used as is, as a base for customization, or cloned and made fully your own. We will publish a full post about the style guide, how it works, and our vision for the future very soon.

Your feedback please!

We’re still working on quite a few things and would to hear your feedback about the wireframes, our ideas around the page templates and shortcodes, etc. This project is for you, it will benefit the greater WordCamp community and any organizer setting up a WordCamp site in the future. So we want to hear your voice!

#campsite-theme, #meta-wordcamp, #wordcamp-sites #wordcamps

WordCamp Talk Proposals weekly slack chat recap 11/01/17

The last weekly slack chat took place Wednesday Jan 11 at 5pm UTC. The archive starts here.
Present: Mathieu VIet, Tom Nowell, Andrea Middleton.

Post status

We kicked off with some recent work done by Tom on post status, where is has added several to handle the workflow of the submission to acceptance/refusal process and updated the interface. His PR complete with screenshots can be found here.


We then circled back to the login question, and finally realized that…it was a non question! WordCamp sites already depend on user profiles from the dot org site – any new users added must be existing users. So the question of SSO and whether it is a secondary project and scope creep is moot. Next steps will be looking at workflow and messaging for the login process, which will likely be in two steps: login then filling out the profile.

Sticky posts(talks)

Previously, sticky posts had been used to create a welcome post for users, explaining the sign up and submission process. We agreed that this could be replaced by a page, making set up easier/more obvious for organizers. To be added to task list.


As speakers and speakers to-be submit to more and more WordCamps, they will accumulate WordCamp sites in their user profile toolbars as part of the multisite network. The question was raised, does this have any performance implications? Andrea, a super-admin and therefore a user on ALL network sites, says that any page lag is negligible. We checked that off our list, though as a UI question, a long list might be annoying, so we’ll keep an eye on it and eventually disable the toolbar for subscribers/speakers.

Exporting talk submissions

We briefly discussed a feature to allow the exportation of submissions as WXR, to be easily uploaded/submitted to other sites. We agreed to put it on a back burner while we hammer out higher priority needs.

Next steps

  • User testing
  • Update documentation
  • Update task list

Next meeting set for Wednesday, Jan 18 at 5pm UTC on the make slack #meta-wordcamp. <3

WordCamp Talk Proposals weekly slack chat recap 04/01/17

The last weekly slack chat took place Wednesday Jan 4, getting a false start at 4:30pm and off the ground and permanently moved to 5pm UTC. The archive starts here.

The agenda came about following a series of comments left by Ian Dunn on previous meeting notes and github, requiring further discussion on:

  • the CPT debate, 1 CPT, 2 menu items?
  • Login, in or out of scope?
  • Both which touch on: general scope, how far ahead should we be thinking and is it slowing us down (i.e., global proposals, etc).
  • Code base: current fork or start over?

Present: Mathieu Viet, Tom Nowell, Andrea Middleton, myself.

The CPT debate

We agreed that using one single Post Type, but with two separate menu items, is a nice compromise and a clean approach to the problem. Rather than retain the Talk CPT, the plugin will be rewritten as an extension of the Session CPT.

Attendee rating tool

Not on the agenda, but a point that Ian brought up, is a parallel project being developed by Ptah Dunbar.

since this is highly relevant to the post-session attendee-rating tool you’re working on. It may make sense to integrate these two projects to some extent, rather than duplicating a lot of functionality.

After brief discussion about the front-end implications of where each tool would need to display information, we do not see any obvious conflicts. The Attendee rating tool seeks to display user feedback on WordCamp Sessions pages, which are not directly exploited/modified by WordCamp Talk Proposals. We agreed to contact the other team and invite them to the discussion and to mutually follow each other’s project.

Login and Speaker pages

This project has lead us to a larger project of creating a single sign on approach, using accounts as a basis for Speaker submissions.

Ian has suggested that this might be scope creep, and that we may want to focus on a per-site login method for now.

While we’re undecided on whether or not we agree that this is scope creep, enthusiasm did lead to some debate about whether or not the Speaker CPT still had purpose. And we did agree that would be scope creep, and that in the interest of backwards compatibility we would table such discussions for now.

Other questions raised around the idea of starting with user profiles:

  • How do we then populate the Speaker pages?

-> current thinking: some kind of prompt that allows admins to search a list of registered users and import their information.

  • When you click on a Speaker link from the site, where does it take you?

-> To the Speaker’s page on the WC site (not to

  • How universal do we make the login? Will it require profiles to be the same? Or can profiles be modified on a per site basis after « import »?

-> We agreed that more discussion was needed around offering a simple sign up/workflow versus giving users and organizers some autonomy and choice.

Post Script

I was able to touch base with Ptah and briefly discuss his project with Daniel Iser (David Bisset is not longer participating). He provided us access to their working document.

We touched briefly on one potential commonality between the two projects: Speaker login. He will try and join us for our next chat to discuss further.


Further discussion was also had around the SSO implantation, with input from John James Jacoby, Otto and Sam Sidler.

From Sam,

Our goal was to get OAuth on so that external sites (like and would use it to login to their respective sites.
But OAuth 2 is much harder to implement than we anticipated. Since something like it has to happen for core, we’ll hopefully be able to piggyback on that this year.

It’s clear that these are two separate projects, so our goal has to be to look at the overlap and come to an agreement on scope so that we can proceed with our main feature goal without being held up by dependencies.

Our next slack chat will take place this Wednesday, January 11 at 5pm UTC on #meta-wordcamp.


WordCamp Talks (Talk Proposals) weekly slack chat recap

Our last weekly slack chat happened last week, Wednesday Dec 21 (5:30pm UTC+1). The archive starts here.

No set agenda as it was right before the holiday and attendance was low.
Present: Andrea Middleton, Tom Nowell, and myself, with participation from Josh Levinson.

We covered the following points and came to a few agreements:

  • We’ve validated the 2 CPT approach as the most effective, stating definitively that each has its own separate and unique purpose, giving us far more advantages.
  • We debated the name WordCamp Talks, and have decided, barring better ideas, that WordCamp Talk Proposals would be more apt and will be reflected in the UI if not the plugin namespaces.
  • This brought up further discussion on the use of such a plugin for other types of proposals and WordCamp decision-making where upvoting could be useful. We decided that the direction we’re taking with WordCamp Talk Proposals is very specific to the Call for Speakers process and related post types and taxonomies, and that other types of proposals could use the basic WP Idea Stream plugin if desired.
  • We briefly discussed the single sign-on approach, and agreed that it should be contained in a separate plugin for development and maintenance purposes, as well as to eventually make it available for other usage. But we will focus on it being useful for WordCamp Talk Proposals first and foremost to not slow down the integration of this valuable feature.
  • Tom brought up the idea of rebuilding the code base from scratch; we decided that this foundation was well enough advanced that it was best to continue on the current fork.
  • Tom and Josh were given commit access.

Our next slack chat is scheduled for Wednesday January 4 at 5:30pm UTC+1 on #meta-wordcamp.
Reminder that the plugin can be found here on github.

Comments welcome. Thanks to all!


WCEU17 design team is building improved and more flexible WordCamp theme

In the Summer of 2015, a survey on tools has brought up some great ideas and suggestions for a new default theme. We, the growing design team of WordCamp Europe 2017, this year 6 people strong, want to help create such a new default theme for WordCamps. The ideas voiced in the survey were pretty much in line with our vision for a new theme.

We currently use the “WordCamp Base Redux” theme for WCEU17 which is based on a very old version of _s, lacking some of the newer features. The Redux theme also has some major A11y issues we’d like to tackle.

The suggestions from the survey we felt most strongly about were “serve the many, not the few“, “flexible starter theme“, and “be a theme only“. Using a current version of _s would solve a lot of these wishes voiced by the community.

The status quo

To tackle this, we compared the Base Redux theme with a current version of _s. We wanted to identify feature that were added and might need to be implemented in a new WordCamp base theme. Many added functions in Base Redux are legacy code, including older versions of the custom post types for speakers, session, etc. As those features are now handled by plugins, they are no longer needed in a new theme.

After stripping out all old and unused functions, we identified only some additional widget areas used:

  • Two additional widget areas after the header: after-header and after-header-homepage (only on the front_page)
  • Two additional widget before the content: before-content and before-content-homepage (only on the front_page)
  • A second sidebar: sidebar-2
  • 5 footer widget areas: footer-widget-1 … footer-widget-5
  • A credit action in the footer (which was never really used)

We do see the need for some additional widget areas and will decide which widget areas make sense to add to the new default theme to add additional flexibility. Having special page templates with no sidebars (full width) or other layout options, could also be very useful additions.

In the comments to the survey, Josh Leuze came up with some ideas for a new default theme. He wanted to introduce a theme with a basic design, so any WordCamp organizing team, with limited design resources, has a good starting point for a nice WordCamp theme. Josh included some of his ideas in the GitHub repo with additional assets for visual design ideas.

A new theme without a bundled design

The Base Redux theme is a starter theme and doesn’t really include any design. When using it you basically have three options, to create a design:

  1. Clone the design of a current WordCamp also using Base Redux
  2. Adding styles to Base Redux using the “Custom CSS” functionality from Jetpack
  3. Adding styles to Base Redux using the “Remote CSS” functionality bundles in a meta plugin

For the new WordCamp theme we envision to:

  1. Have a solid technical framework with improved A11y using the latest version of _s
  2. Provide more flexibility and ease in setting up the WordCamp site by providing more layout options, page templates, and additional widget areas
  3. Provide modular CSS and style guide (provided separately / not included in theme – more info below)

Other theme improvements

We’re still working on the full list of theme improvements and features we’d like to include in the new WordCamp theme, but here are some of our ideas so far:

  • More flexible homepage options to share timely announcements, calls for sponsor/speaker/volunteers throughout the life span of an event
  • Page templates for speakers, sponsors, etc
  • Paginated archives for post types
  • Improved A11y

Sneak Peek: Theme CSS and a living style guide

Designing a WordCamp website can be challenging since we can’t modify HTML or JS so it’s important to have a good CSS starting point and documentation to speed things up. Separate from the new WordCamp theme, we’re also creating modular CSS and a living style guide as a convenient starting point for WordCamp organizers to use.

We’ll be releasing it open source for anyone to use, edit, and fork to create and share new versions. The styles can easily be applied to a WordCamp site using the “Remote CSS” plugin.

We’re hoping this to be a starting point and that the style guide will evolve over time. This will give others the opportunity to release more versions of it for the community to choose from. We understand that not every WordCamp team has design resources, so we want to help with some of the heavy-lifting providing this style guide.

We’ll be publishing more info about this soon. But for now, we’d like to share a few screenshots of what such a style guide would look like:

Style Guide: Color variables and values

Style Guide: Example of components

Big thanks to my team members @kau-boy and @lucijanblagonic who helped me kick this off.

Dear community

We’re very excited about this project and we’d love to hear your feedback! Also read our intro post on WCEU.

#campsite-theme, #meta-wordcamp, #wordcamp-sites

WordCamp Talks weekly slack chat recap

We had our first weekly slack chat on Wednesday (5:30pm UTC+1) to discuss the WordCamp Talks plugin. The archive starts here.

On our agenda:

  • One CPT or two? balancing the existing with the incoming.
  • User profiles & login
  • Automation: workload? And should we aim for v1, or can it wait? (dependant on above discussion)
  • Questions, getting everyone up to speed
  • Reporting: how should discussion during these chats be archived?

Present: Mathieu Viet, Andrea Middleton, Josh Levinson, Veselin Nikolov, Kelly Dwan & myself, with input from Tom Nowell, Dominik Shilling & John James Jacoby.

1. The Custom Post Type debate

The WordCamp Talks plugin introduces a new CPT, on top of the existing Sessions, currently called “Talks”. The debate centered around the pros and the cons of having two separate CPTs, versus combining them into one (ie, rewriting the Talks plugin to utilize the existing Sessions CPT).

Consensus was reached that leaving them as two separate CPTs was more advantageous.

  • The two CPTs have different purposes: Talks is for receiving, upvoting/commenting and selecting talks privately; whereas Sessions is for displaying talks and full schedules publicly.
  • Each has taxonomy and/or meta data not used by the other. (although it could be interesting to integrate categorization into Sessions, a separate debate :)).
  • Large WordCamps can receive over 200 applications, whereas the final selection is usually no more than 60. From a UI standpoint, it would be much easier for organizers to manage this reduced final selection than having to scroll through a list of both selected and rejected talks.
  • The workload to automate the process of selecting from Talks to publish to Sessions is minimal. So whereas it does create some redundancy, it does not significantly increase the workload for organizers (check boxes, push a button).
  • This also means that Talks remains optional, it doesn’t have to be a requirement for organizers to work this way (didn’t come up in discussion, me adding it now :)).

Barring veto from @iandunn 😀 or additional arguments against this approach, we’ll continue development in this direction. Tom Nowell said he would have an alternative proposal – so we’ll discuss it at the next meeting if he’s ready.

2. User profiles & login

The ultimate goal of this plugin is streamlining the entire Call for Papers process for WordCamps. One of its key features is allowing applicants to log on to the site, creating a user profile account, from which they submit multiple talks, edit their talks (time frame defined by organizers), edit their profile at any time and view the ensemble of their submissions.

After much discussion about the best way to integrate and conform to the existing WordCamp sites and Speaker CPT, we are looking to create a single login based on user profiles. This will have the additional advantage of not only allowing users to submit more than one talk from a single profile, but effectively submit multiple talks to any WordCamp from their single profile. Brilliant!

What if an applicant doesn’t want to sign up to Will this be excluding some people outside of our community from participating?

This question was raised during our work session at Contributor Day during WCUS. After further discussion we concluded the following:

  • In either case, the applicant will have to sign up somewhere, creating an account on one or the other website. They are required to provide us with a certain amount of personal information.
  • In the same way that speakers are required to sign waivers, allowing organizers to film them and publish their talks to, this will become a requirement of participating in an official WordCamp.

Unless strong arguments can be made against a universal login, we will proceed with development in this direction.

How to go about it? We were pointed to the following (thanks, Dom!):


3. Automation and feature roadmap

We solved this pretty quickly: no need to wait, automation can be achieved for the v1. This was mainly regarding publishing from Talks to Sessions, but also regarding the Speaker CPT, which we’ll be digging into as we move forward on the login.

4. Reporting

We agreed that this was the best spot to post full reports of our meetings 🙂
If you have comments, ideas, opinions on any of this, please weigh in!
Or if I left anything out or reported sideways, let me know! 🙂

Our next slack chat is schedule Wednesday, December 21 at 5:30pm UTC+1 (Paris time) on the #meta-wordcamp channel. I’ll post a proposed agenda a few minutes before we get started.

The plugin is on github if you want to contribute

WordCamp Talks – weekly slack chat

Hey folks! We’re starting a weekly chat on the #meta-wordcamp Make slack channel, beginning this Wednesday, December 14 at 5:30pm UTC+1.

The goal of the meetings will be to advance discussions around the features of the plugin and the specificities of integrating it into WordCamp sites, as well as to organize and distribute the work load. We had some great conversations during WCUS, and I’d like to keep that momentum going!

Currently on board: @imath @joshlevinson @dzver @tomjn (and maybe @tacoverdo).

If you’re interested in getting involved, please feel free to join us.
First, catch up on the conversation:

WP Idea Stream for the WordCamp admin toolbox

WordCamp Talks Beta