Already some time ago @kcristiano, @angelasjin, and I proposed changing the Community Team meetings. Given that all commenters were unanimous on changing the team meetings, here we go!
Starting from October, the Community Team is going to leave behind all of our current meetings. The new meetings are geared more towards the Community Team members who are out there running events and in general doing other things than admin work. All meetings are repeated twice on the same day for timezone considerations.
Summary & timeline of the change
After 2021-10-07 all current team meetings will be removed from the Community Team calendar. New meeting types are explained a little down below in this post. In short, these meetings will be replaced with three new ones:
- Community Team Meeting on the first Thursday of each month at 12:00 UTC and 21:00 UTC
- Community Local Event Organiser meeting on the second week of each month, exact date and time will be chosen based on Doodle poll.
- Mentor Someone who has already organised a WordCamp and has time to meet with their assigned mentee every 2 weeks, they talk over where they should be in their timeline, help them to identify their issues, and also identify solutions for their issues. and Deputy Community Deputies are a team of people all over the world who review WordCamp and Meetup applications, interview lead organizers, and generally keep things moving at WordCamp Central. Find more about deputies in our Community Deputy Handbook. Chats on the third week of each month, exact date and time will be chosen based on Doodle poll.
These new meetings will be rolled out gradually, to allow everyone to vote on new times and adjust calendars. The timeline for changes is:
- On 2021-10-07 last Team Meeting with the old structure.
- On 2021-10-07 the poll for Mentor and Deputy Chats time closes.
- On the week of 2021-10-18 first Mentor and Deputy Chat will take place.
- On 2021-10-31 the poll for Community Local Organiser meeting time closes.
- On 2021-11-04 first Team Meeting with a new structure.
- On the week of 2021-11-08 first Community Local Organiser meeting will take place.
New meeting types, places and times
Meeting for anyone currently involved (event organisers, mentors Someone who has already organised a WordCamp and has time to meet with their assigned mentee every 2 weeks, they talk over where they should be in their timeline, help them to identify their issues, and also identify solutions for their issues., deputies Community Deputies are a team of people all over the world who review WordCamp and Meetup applications, interview lead organizers, and generally keep things moving at WordCamp Central. Find more about deputies in our Community Deputy Handbook.) or who wants to get involved with the Community Team. Also the place for cross-coordination between WordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ teams when needed.
Compared to the old team meeting, these new team meetings will have a shorter agenda and more time for open floor discussions. Also, a place to spark new ideas on how our community could be developed. Highlighted blog posts will be shared only at the end of the meeting.
The meeting takes place in #community-team Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel on the first Thursday of each month at 12:00 UTC and 21:00 UTC.
Meeting for all local event organisers out there! Whether you are a Meetup Meetup groups are locally-organized groups that get together for face-to-face events on a regular basis (commonly once a month). Learn more about Meetups in our Meetup Organizer Handbook., WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. or do_action do_action hackathons are community-organised events that are focussed on using WordPress to give deserving charitable organisations their own online presence. Learn more on doaction.org. organiser or planning to organise an WordPress event – this is the meeting for you!
The purpose of this meeting is to help and connect the local community organisers. A place to share your best ideas, concerns and challenges with others. Or just to reach out to the Community Team for some help. The meeting will have a light structure and theme for each time.
The meeting takes place in #community-events Slack channel or in Zoom on the second week of each month. Vote for the meeting time!
Mentor and Deputy Chats
Meeting for all active WordCamp Mentors and Community Team Deputies.
Place for mentors and deputies to share knowledge with each other, talk about ideas and challenges encountered in weekly work and get peer support.
The meeting takes place in Zoom on the third week of each month. Vote for the meeting time!
Thank you to everyone involved in the previous discussion! Feel free to comment on this post if you have any questions about the new meeting formats!