We have a central account at meetup.com for WordPress meetups. If you’d like to start a meetup group in your city, we’ll cover the meetup.com dues if you promise to stick to a few simple guidelines with the meetup group:
- WordPress Meetups are for the benefit of the WordPress community as a whole, not specific businesses or individuals. All actions that I take as an organizer are with the best interest of the community in mind.
- Membership in the local meetup group is open to all who wish to join, regardless of ability, skill, financial status or any other criteria.
- Meetups are volunteer-run with volunteer speakers. In cases where a modest attendance fee might be necessary, this fee should only cover the costs of the meetup and shouldn’t be used to pay speakers or organizers.
- Meetup groups allow events to be organized by any reliable/trusted member of the community.
- Meetups are welcoming places where everyone works to foster an accepting environment which is free of discrimination, incitement to violence, promotion of hate, and general jerk-like behavior.
These guidelines were created by volunteers active in current meetup groups. They may change over time based on feedback from the WordPress meetup community.
Sound good? To get started, go to meetup.com and create a username/account for yourself if you don’t already have one. Fill in the form below, and we’ll get back to you within a week to either confirm your new meetup group or ask some additional questions. Note: you can also use this form if you have an existing WordPress meetup group on meetup.com would like to transfer it to the central account so you don’t have to pay dues anymore.