Call for participants: Creating A Welcoming And Diverse Space (Online Workshop on Sun, Oct 6)

WordPress is all about community, and this year WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. US is holding its first ever community track.

Allie Nimmons, Aurooba Ahmed, David Wolfpaw, and I, Jill Binder, have been invited to create a workshop for folks who run WordPress events in person or online on how to create a welcoming and diverse space.

In order to make the best workshop that we can on this sensitive and important topic, we are asking for help from you for 2 hours on Sunday, October 6, 12pm-2pm PT / 3pm-5pm ET / 7-9pm UTC. We are going to run our workshop in a live, interactive Zoom call.

What we are looking for:

  • The chance to rehearse our workshop with folks who will actively participate with our interactive exercises.
  • Feedback on what worked,what could be improved, and what felt missing.
  • Suggestions for our diversity and inclusion content.

Workshop description

Creating A Welcoming And Diverse Space

Do you run a WordPress event, but notice only one type of person is attending? You’d love to have more diversity in your group, but folks are either not showing up – or they attend once and don’t come back. What can you do to foster, promote, and support diversity and an inclusive space? This is not just for organizers, but anyone who wants to champion this kind of environment, now or in the future!

In this workshop, we’ll cover 5 topics:

1. Shifting the way you think about diversity;
2. How to attract and foster a diverse community;
3. Creating a welcoming environment, both in person and online;
4. How to encourage more people from diverse backgrounds to step up to be speakers and leaders; and
5. How to be a better ally.

What you’ll get

You will walk away with an action list to start making changes right away.

We will be doing the exercises in a workbook PDF

There will be an opportunity to anonymously ask questions you’ve always wanted to know but have been afraid to ask.

Details

Sunday, Oct 6, 2019
12pm-2pm PT / 3pm-5pm ET / 7-9pm UTC
Zoom link will be provided

To participate

Comment on this post with your WordPress SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. handle or other way to contact you and we will send you the Zoom link and material before the workshop.

WCUS

A reminder that this workshop will be at WCUS in St. Louis on Nov. 1, 1-2:45pm. Please tell folks about it and we hope to see you there!

#wpdiversity

Recap of the Diverse Speaker Training group (#wpdiversity) on Sept. 11, 2019

Attending: @jillbinder @miriamgoldman @simo70 @cguntur @bhargavmehta

Start: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1568221257287400

Today’s Agenda:

1. Chatting about what you’re working on for the team, how it’s going, any obstacles.

2. Open discussion time!

Reports

What are you working on? How is it going? Do you have any obstacles?

  • Green: on plan. No help needed.
  • Yellow: not on plan but I have a strategy to get there
  • Red: not on plan, no plan to get there, I’m lost!

@angelasjin sent in:
Ran a Train the Trainers and scheduled my next one for November.

@miriamgoldman:

  • Green: Running a training next week, have one individual signed up.
  • Green: Connecting with prospective trainers, am working with Rahul to get him to shadow me in October.
  • Green: Finishing editing our current video and adding additional prompts/cards to make it easier for trainers.
  • Yellow: Cleaning up the trainers script a bit. Just haven’t gotten around to it.
  • I guess a green would be is to verify that all trainers are completing the checklist, and making sure all is done after a training.

@jillbinder:

  • @miriamgoldman Let’s touch base about when you think you’ll be able to do the video and script edits. I think that for my October training I’m going to do the old training way because I’ve got too many workshops I’m working on to also be working on the new training way at this time…!
  • @miriamgoldman Great! I will likely base my training date in October on when the Training material will be available.

@amyjune sent in: She’s working on the content for the BADCamp workshop, and may get our input on the language.

@jillbinder: @amyjune I was going to send you a script to work off of for BADCamp. I’ll touch base with you about that.

@jillbinder

  • Yellow: My workshop for WCUS and the related Building a Diverse Speaker Roster document are both having delays and extra work, but I feel good about getting them back on track.
  • Green: Managing the new mini team leads within our group — who are moving our work very forward — is going well.

@simo70

Next Saturday I’ll be at WordcampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Zurich and one of my slides will explain the project

@cguntur

I am currently working on the resources page for the speaker mentors. Status is yellow – waiting for Jeremy to get back to me with his calendly link and schedule

@bhargavmehta

Yellow: Translations of new documents along side @rahuldsarker. No success yet as I am not able to dedicate time on it.

Open Discussion

@miriamgoldman
Well, I’ve noticed that we haven’t gotten that many requests for training as of late. After cleaning up the dormants, we have only 3 submissions, with one person scheduled to take the training with me on the 25th.

On this topic we discussed:

  • @aurooba‘s marketing plan
  • At some point writing to all the ones who have done the workshop in previous years and who were dormant in the past, and see if we can get more interested. I don’t think folks realize they should put effort into it every year.
  • Bringing it up at WordCamps coming up. @miriamgoldman, @bhargavmehta, and @cguntur volunteered
  • It’s not a big concern as things are slower while we’re improving everything plus the marketing plan is coming

@bhargavmehta talked about feeling more confident in our material to be able to talk about it at his WordCamps. He mentioned that our team’s workshop at the end of October will help.

@jillbinder
On that point, one of the many reasons we want to re-record our Training is because the audio from participants in our current video is not good. So I’m going to ask everyone attending to be on good internet and if you can, be using a headset or microphone for speaking.

@jillbinder and @miriamgoldman talked about starting to delegate some of her items

@jillbinder
For translations, I’m planning on doing some changes to the workshop material, so I should confirm with @bhargavmehta and @rahuldsarker that what is changing is not the parts you are currently getting translated. And if you are, we can copy it before I go change it.

@jillbinder talked about finding a better way to stay in touch with our various team leaders. @miriamgoldman suggested using the bi-weekly meetings and arrange for leaders to check in with me individually once a month separately from the meeting.

@jillbinder
Great – thanks everyone for your active participation, letting me know where things are at, and for all that you do and are going to be doing. You are great folks and I’m honoured to be doing this important work with you.

End: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1568224093340000

#wpdiversity

Recap of the Diverse Speaker Training group (#wpdiversity) on Aug 28, 2019

Attending: @jillbinder @cguntur @miriamgoldman @rahuldsarker

Start: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1567011603003800

Agenda

1. Reports of what you’re working on, with colours:
   – Green: on plan. No help needed.
   – Yellow: not on plan but I have a strategy to get there
   – Red: not on plan, no plan to get there, I’m lost!
2. Our two workshops, Sat, Oct 26 and Sun, Oct 27, both at
10am PT / 1pm ET / 5pm UTC
for 2.5 hours.
3. Mention in the media recently
4. What I’m working on

Reports

What are you working on? How is it going? Do you have any obstacles?

  • Green: on plan. No help needed.
  • Yellow: not on plan but I have a strategy to get there
  • Red: not on plan, no plan to get there, I’m lost!

@cguntur (working on our Speaker Mentorship program)
I am currently working on contacting Jeremy and getting the resources page ready

I am on yellow. I contacted Jeremy about the speaker mentor and about his availability. I haven’t heard back from him.

Yellow on the resources page as well. I will probably have it ready by Monday.

@miriamgoldman (leading our Train the Trainers, running trainings, editing our video, and more)

Green: Held a training last week, went well, got more interactions. Also am editing our current video to streamline what we have.

Yellow: Following up with prospective trainers – I got hit by the busy train at work and just haven’t had the time to do this. Following Labour Day things will be better.

Green: Adding some new prompts to our Trainer script – will be sharing with Jill and Angela once ready.

@rahuldsarker (Translations team, running a small test of a translation in Bengali)
Communities with the local translation team for Bengali translation for the training materials.

@angelasjin (Train the Trainer)
I handled a few HS emails, and have a training scheduled for next week, but again, so takers so far!

Our two workshops, Sat, Oct 26 and Sun, Oct 27

Just a reminder that I’m running the full workshop for our team so that everyone can understand what we’re doing plus I’m recording it to use for future Trainings.

Sat, Oct 26 and Sun, Oct 27
10am PT / 1pm ET / 5pm UTC
for 2.5 hours.

Mention in the media recently

We got a mention from @pollyplummer regarding the PHPPHP PHP (recursive acronym for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor) is a widely-used open source general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for web development and can be embedded into HTML. http://php.net/manual/en/intro-whatis.php. Central Europe Conference Cancelation:
https://wptavern.com/php-central-europe-conference-canceled-due-to-lack-of-speaker-diversity
Thank you, Sarah!

What I’m working on

I have only been working 3 days since our last meeting, thanks to having a vacation. (I recommend those!)

In that time I’ve been focusing entirely on our Building A Diverse Speaker Roster document and working on the diversity WCUS Workshop. (Both of those items are related to each other.)

Thanks for being here and thanks for all you’re doing!

End: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1567013563038800

#wpdiversity

Recap of the Diverse Speaker Training group (#wpdiversity) on Aug 14, 2019

Attending: @jillbinder @cguntur @miriamgoldman @rahuldsarker @bhargavmehta @amyjune

Start: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1565802035435000

Agenda:

1. Reports of what you’re working on, with colours:
    – Green: on plan. No help needed.
    – Yellow: not on plan but I have a strategy to get there
    – Red: not on plan, no plan to get there, I’m lost!
2. Our upcoming team’s workshop
3. Our new Train the Trainers process ( https://tiny.cc/wpdiversity )
4. We want more Trainers
5. Other (things I’ve missed, open discussion, questions, etc.)

Reports

What are you working on? How is it going?

Green: on plan. No help needed.
Yellow: not on plan but I have a strategy to get there
Red: not on plan, no plan to get there, I’m lost!

@miriamgoldman
I’m full green – been working with Jill and Angela to streamline and improve the Train the Trainers process, and am running a training next Tuesday.

@amyjune
Green: And the WS has been approved for BADCAMPas a 1/2 day training. So, I am taking the train the trainers next week. Tara will be leading the WS at BADCamp

@cguntur
Full green – Contacting Jeremy about the speaker mentor and also getting the resources page done.

@angelasjin
I had a training scheduled (but no attendees), scheduled another training for September, responding to emails in the HS queue with info on upcoming trainings.

Our upcoming team’s workshop

I would love for everyone on our team to take our workshop so that you know the material better and can help our team more, as well as I would like to record it to use for our future Train The Trainers videos.

We’ll hold it in September or October. There will be 2 parts on two different days. We will choose both dates by which 2 best times closest to each other work.

If you haven’t already, please select every date you can attend in our doodle poll.

https://doodle.com/poll/9pzswbymtn3keiku

If a date can work but needs to be at a slightly different time, please let me know. It was tricky with the timezones!

Deadline: Monday, Aug 19 @ 9am PT.

Our new Train the Trainers process

I walked us all through the new process as described on https://tiny.cc/wpdiversity. (https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1565803153455400)

We want more Trainers

We currently have 2 and a half (sometimes me) Trainers, and we would like to start on-boarding more.

Miriam and I will be writing up a proper blog post call-out. In the meantime I described what is needed and the time commitment off the top of my head. (https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1565804219472500)

@rahuldsarker, @bhargavmehta, & @amyjune are all still interested in becoming Trainers.

If anyone else is interested, please reach out to @miriamgoldman or I.

Other – Questions, comments, anything else relating to our team?

I will be co-creating and co-leading a workshop at WCUS in the Community track with @allienimmons and @aurooba: “Creating A Welcome And Diverse Space”. !

Who in our group will be attending WCUS?

End: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1565805761499600

#wpdiversity

Recap of the Diverse Speaker Training group (#wpdiversity) on July 24, 2019

Attending: @jillbinder @miriamgoldman @bhargavmehta @rahuldsarker @cguntur @angelasjin

Start: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1563987722014400

Agenda:

  • Reports of what you’re working on, with colours
    • green: on plan. No help needed.
    • yellow: not on plan but I have a strategy to get there
    • red: not on plan, no plan to get there, I’m lost!
  • The future Train the Trainers Meetups “Ideal” life cycle that we are working towards
  • Our new “What is this workshop” intro video!
  • Other things I’m working on

Reports

What are you working on? How is it going? Do you have any obstacles?
Green / yellow / red?

@miriamgoldman
Green: Running a Train the Trainers in about 4 hours! I have two attendees. I also have one scheduled for August 21st.

Yellow: Organizing a meeting with existing and prospective trainers. This is yellow due to time!

Green: Working with Jill on some Train the Trainer processes.

@angelasjin
I’m green/yellow. Scheduled my first training in a some time for August, and I want to make sure I’m fully prepped for that, especially since we have a new process and it’s been some time since I’ve done one.

@jillbinder Good to know about the yellow flag! To note, currently there’s only one change to the process, which is calendly.

Are you good with prepping on your own or will you want some refresher info?
Also, of note, we have a new new pre- and post- Training checklist, to make sure you have:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/19QDg7aRzKOJUMLPcW7JzB5YsfHn86xmzakKhLN8b22g/edit?usp=sharing

@angelasjin I think I’m good, but refresher info is always welcome, thank you!

@bhargavmehta
Red: No task in hand, Had one but messed with it. So lost right now.

@jillbinder Is that something you’d like to talk through with the group now or with me privately another time soon?

@bhargavmehta  Sure will talk to you in private

Future Train the Trainers Meetups “Ideal” life cycle

Jill showed the new vision mapped out for the “ideal” meetupMeetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. life cycle, including all of the changes that we’ve all talked about.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X6djOPCi8XQIl58e0ar51VAM2jWdnLsb/view?usp=sharing

We talked through some of the upcoming changes.

I’ll leave it with folks to look over and let me know if you’ve got any more comments/questions/feedback.

Our new “What is this workshop” intro video!

We want to have a “What is this workshop” video on http://tiny.cc/wpdiversity so that organizers watch that video before signing up for a training, and then that those coming to the Training will be pre-screened and we’ll be using our Trainers’ time effectively.

I repurposed my business video, cut out everything that was not directly about our project, and put on a “sign up here” slide.

I showed the video in the Training I ran for 4 people last week, and they said it made what we do very clear and they were really inspired and excited to learn how to run the workshop. I feel like that was good validation to move ahead with using the video.

http://diversein.tech/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/CallOutToMeetups.mp4

(Aiming to have it hosted on wordpress.tv rather than my own site,… mine is just a placeholder until we have that.)

Love to hear what you think after you’ve watched!

Other things I’m working on

1. Working on getting our Calendly Pro system set up so that Trainees have automated reminders, an easy way to change or cancel their training, and have less bandwidth on our trainers.

It’s close to being done. Just a few more tweaks to it I think.

We had our first training with it last week, and 100% showed up!!

We are having our second training with it later this aft with @miriamgoldman.

2. The “How to Build a Diverse Speaker Roster” document that I was working on last year is back on top of my to do list. We want to have it up on the Meetups organizer info page within about 2 weeks, along with info and a link to our workshop.

3. I was approached by a prolific speaker who asked if he could be a speaker mentor, and that has started @andreamiddleton and I thinking about how our group could provide that service. I have asked @cguntur to be the one to coordinate our future speaker mentor pool with speakers who are interested.

This is also a great way for allies to pitch in to help our group. (In addition to doing other behind-the-scenes tasks.)

We envision it to be things like “look over this proposal” or “rehearse the talk over webcam and get feedback.”

4. I’m rewriting our tiny.cc/wpdiversity page!
With updated info and the start of our new processes.

5. I’ll be recorded on a podcast next week put on by @Micah called “Hello, WP!” They want to start putting more focus on diversity in WordPress, so ours will be the first one to be recorded on that, I believe.

I want to start bringing on other folks besides myself who have great stories about what happened when they took the workshop, or they spoke, or they put on the workshop and great things happened… Either as a guest with me or in future also could be instead of me, so it’s not just my voice out there talking about what we do.

My first co-interviwee will be @cguntur next week. I thought of Chandrika first as she has a personal journey that is related directly to being new in WordPress (which is the focus of this podcast in general) and then benefiting from her local “women in wordpress” group at the time, plus taking our workshop. And now she does a lot of organizing and leadership!

If you’re interested in being on podcasts, web shows, articles, etc. as well, please dm me to let me know.
I’ll also be reaching out to more folks in the future to ask as well.

Next actions:

  1. @miriamgoldman and @angelasjin doing Training refresher
  2. @bhargavmehta and @jillbinder are having a private chat
  3. All: comments/questions/feedback on the future “ideal” meetups life cycle
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X6djOPCi8XQIl58e0ar51VAM2jWdnLsb/view?usp=sharing
  4. Let me know what you think of the 2-minute “what is this workshop” video after you’ve watched it: http://diversein.tech/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/CallOutToMeetups.mp4

End: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1563991240083900

#wpdiversity

Diversity Outreach Speaker Training Working Group Chat Agenda | July 24, 2019

New and curious team members welcome. This is what we do:
https://make.wordpress.org/community/2017/11/13/call-for-volunteers-diversity-outreach-speaker-training/
(Only now it’s all diversity, not just women.)

Agenda:

  1. Reports of what you’re working on, with colors
        – green: on plan. No help needed.
        – yellow: not on plan but I have a strategy to get there
        – red: not on plan, no plan to get there, I’m lost!
  2. The new Train the Trainers Meetups life cycle that we are working towards.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X6djOPCi8XQIl58e0ar51VAM2jWdnLsb/view?usp=sharing

Problems that we’re working on solving with this new life cycle:

  • Not many were showing up to trainings.
  • Not many ran the workshop after receiving training.
  • Not many filled out the follow-up questionnaire.
  • We have no way current of collecting stories to show the community the impact of the work and to help more meetups want to run it.

Goals we are striving towards:

  • 80+% of meetups show up to trainings.
  • 80+% of meetups run the workshop.
  • 100% give us their stats and at least one great story.

3. Our new 2-minute “What is this workshop” intro video! (Temporarily stored here: http://diversein.tech/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/CallOutToMeetups.mp4)

4. Other things I’m working on

5. Open discussion

See you tomorrow (July 24) at 5pm UTC / 1pm ET in the Make WordPress Community-Team Slack channel.

#wpdiversity

Recap of the Diversity Outreach Speaker Training meeting on July 10, 2019

Attending: @jillbinder @angelasjin

Start: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1562778026384900

Agenda

  • Reports of what you’re working on, with colours:
    • green: on plan. No help needed.
    • yellow: not on plan but I have a strategy to get there
    • red: not on plan, no plan to get there, I’m lost!
  • Report of what I’m working on

Reports

What are you working on? How is it going? Do you have any obstacles? green/yellow/red ?

@miriamgoldman
I’ll be scheduling a training for after July 17th. That’s a green.

Also a green, but slightly yellow, is coordinating a time with all trainers and prospective trainers to have a meeting. I’ll be sending out a Doodle next week to figure out times.

Finally, a yellow, and this is due to time, is rewriting the trainer onboarding material, and reformatting the script for trainers.

@jillbinder: Also, Miriam and Angela are giving me the July and August training dates soon because we want them before I send in the next meetupMeetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. newsletter mid next week.

@angelasjin
I’m working on scheduling a training for early August – that’s a green!

I’m looking at Calendly right now in the hopes that I can figure it out. Just need some more time on that one, so call it a yellow.

@cguntur
Nothing to report. Next time I have anyone asking for training, I will send them the calendly link.

@jillbinder: (Which is the first outward-facing change in our process. Letting Calendly do the heavy lifting for the backs and forths we normally have for scheduling the meetups!)

My updates

@jillbinder
I promoted our work and talked about how Automattic’s sponsorship money is being used on WPWeekly last week. That was fun! And available to view: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6kT34Q4tl0

Thanks to 7 in our group, I was able to do the A/B testing on our bio exercise. Thank you so much!

It was (almost, or entirely?) unanimous: new exercise (interviewed by partner and partner then introduces you to the group) followed by refining it with the old exercise (3 sentences, be concise, make sure it contains particular things).

My concern is how long it takes to do both exercises, so I chatted with Andrea about it and I love her suggestion: Make it the ice breaker.

@angelasjin: I love this suggestion too

@jillbinder
So the plan now is in the “long” version of the workshop, make this the ice breaker exercise and then encourage people to share all or part of their bios for the rest of the workshop with each other, and then they can keep refining it as they go.

In the “short” version, bio isn’t included in that, so I’ll keep it to the old ice breaker options.

Really excited to see how this change plays out! I will be trying it out this weekend when I run the workshop for a non-WP group.

I am working through with the meetups newsletter folk how to format our monthly article for them.

I am considering different folks for being our liaison person with the Polyglots teamPolyglots Team Polyglots Team is a group of multilingual translators who work on translating plugins, themes, documentation, and front-facing marketing copy. https://make.wordpress.org/polyglots/teams/. for coordinating our translations in the future, after our material is ready.

And getting new team leaders on board. Newest is Miriam who is now leading our Train The Trainers part of our team.

I am continuously working on improving our workshop material, the long and short.

And working on improving our internal processes to communicate with meetups about trainings. Currently: Getting our calendly started (so that we have a smoother process with less bandwidth for us to schedule trainings for meetups), and working through what the full end-goal process will be, so that I can start creating the steps to get there.

Also I’m pleased to say that Miriam is scheduling our trainers right now to do 1-2 trainings a month for the meetups, which started last month. Hooray! And onboarding more folks on our team to be trainers.

Side note, I have noticed people using our new hashtag to talk about what we’re doing, so hooray on that win!

@angelasjin: That’s great! Hopefully that means that they also aren’t using the old hashtag?

@jillbinder: I haven’t seen anyone use the old one. @aurooba’s suggestions for how to spread it are working. Use it whenever we mention our team name, put it in our materials (still to do), and other things.

End: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1562779861411800

#wpdiversity

Recap of the Diversity Outreach Speaker Training meeting on June 26, 2019

Attending: @jillbinder @angelasjin @cguntur @amyjune @rahuldsarker

Start: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1561568532050800

Agenda

  • Reports
  • Announcement from Automattic of my sponsorship for this work
  • My video
  • Current stats
  • Where we’re at with the first train the trainers today
  • Test and recording with team
  • Update on Translations
  • Where we’re at in our roadmap

Reports

(Includes folks who sent me their reports ahead of time.)

@miriamgoldman
I’m holding a train the trainers this afternoon.

@angelasjin
I think I need to schedule a train the trainers session for August? I need to sort out my schedule (I’ll get there) and would like to confer with other trainers to see what time would be most effective. And I recall some updating of our trainings, but I’m a bit behind on what that looks like.

@cguntur
I am planning to attend the train the trainers session this afternoon!

@simo70
The Verona meetupMeetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. went well. I talked about myths, how to find an idea, write a bio and make good slides. I could not continue with the Italian translations.

@aurooba
I don’t have an update on marketing stuff as of right now.

@rahuldsarker
Rahul joined the team in our meeting today and has 10 hours a week to contribute. Welcome!

Announcement from Automattic of my sponsorship for this work

It is now officially public knowledge: Automattic posted last week about supporting this work with giving me a 50% sponsorship to lead the team!

Want to See a More Diverse WordPress Contributor Community? So Do We.

Also Matt posted about it on his blog, and I am so happy about that too:

Diversifying WordPress

My video

I have a video about the impact that this work has. It is promoting my new business to take this work outside of WordPress, but everything up until the end is all about this project. It’s only 3 min so give it a watch to see what we’ve accomplished. It is mighty impressive!

Current stats

As we are having our first train the trainers since the reboot this afternoon, I thought I’d share where our stats are before that. We did have the team going for the first couple of months in the year, so that is where these come from.

We trained 5 cities:

  • Ahmedabad, India
  • Torino, Italy
  • Sevilla, Spain
  • Portland (I think?), USA
  • Milan, Italy

4 cities have run the training:

  • Torino, Italy
  • Portland (I think?), USA
  • Milan, Italy
  • Vancouver, BC

It’s a solid start. With our new processes that’ll make everything easier and with @aurooba heading up our marketing (with the help of the #marketing team), we are going to be doing a lot more.

Where we’re at with Train the Trainers

For those who are new, Train the Trainers is where we walk chapter meetup organizers through our workshop material. We were running them 1-2 times a month and starting today we are doing them again at about this schedule.

We currently have one scheduled for June. That is later today at 5-7pm Eastern time.

You can still sign up for it by going to https://tiny.cc/wpdiversity

It was my intention to get the new processes started before today’s training.

What is done:

A couple of new fields on the form. We want to have people book a training after they have scheduled a workshop at their meetup. In the future we’ll have more info so that they can decide they want to do it and create their meetup in advance. As we don’t have that in place yet, I put the fields in but optionally for now.

What isn’t done:

I wanted to have our calendly ready to test out people choosing a training with it, and seeing how it does with sending out the various reminders and info. But it turns out I needed people who own that account to do things to set me up, and WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Europe got in the way of that. So I’ll be able to talk to the person who can help me today and get that going.

Test and recording with team

While I’m putting together the “long” and “short” versions of the workshop, I’ve been working on smoothing out the workshop material. I would like to test out a new “writing your biography” exercise.

I would like help from 6 folks on Zoom calls with me sometime in the next couple of weeks, please. Three to test old way and then new way
and three to test new way and then old way.

Let me know here or in the comments of the recap if you can do this, please!

Volunteered in the meeting: @cguntur, @angelasjin, @amyjune

And on recording

This is a long heads-up that in a few months (I need to check when on the roadmap) as part of the new Train the Trainers to teach the new, easier workshop, I will want to have a recording of people taking the workshop that meetups can watch.

And I would like as many members of our group to be on that, please. Partly so that we’ve all taken it, and partly because it’ll be a great contribution to the project.

It’ll likely be two 2-hour sessions, each a week apart.

I will send out a scheduling poll to us soon for the full workshop sessions so that we can have folks schedule around being able to attend.

Update on Translations

Quick update on Translations. Our mini Translations team is no longer available to do the speaker training workshop and train the trainers translations into other languages.

But the good news is, we have an entire WordPress team available to us to pick it up. The #polyglots team.

So I will:

  • reach out to that team soon
  • start communicating now what our needs will be in a couple of months when the long and short workshops are available
  • check in on what kind of schedule they would like re: how many translations over how many months

I would love to have a co-lead for communicating with #polyglots about Translations with me. Who would be willing do this ongoing project with me?

@rahuldsarker
I can translate to Bangali, our local language.

Where we’re at in our roadmap

I think I was overeager when I created the June plan, and so not all is done. June isn’t over and there is time to do more! but I will update where each item is at.

[Material] Improving the training based on the feedback from email questionnaires and things Jill has learned

Yes – I am doing this on the future long and short workshops. But I also want to get essential items into the current workshop and I haven’t done that yet.

fyi we have a new team member, @incredimike, who is going to do the githubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ requests on the #training team’s system for these changes.

[Promotion] Create a shorter team name

Done! Woohoo!
[Team] Publish roadmap; Recruit more volunteers

Roadmap published and it included the call out for volunteers. We’ve had a few new since then!
[Trainers] Get us using new systems (calendly, require they’ve created a meetup for it, email questionnaire)

This was ambitious and not yet done. I hope to get calendly going this week. The other 2 are big jobs.
[Trainers] Schedule first new training(s) starting in June

Yes! @miriamgoldman is doing one later today. :thumbsup:
[Trainers] Start giving trainings again, 1-2 times a month

Yes, and we need to schedule out for July and August. Right now I think we have 2 active trainers, @miriamgoldman and @angelasjin. I can jump in as needed. We have a few more folks who are wanting to be trainers, so let’s get them ready soon.

It’s a bit tricky while we’re in the middle of changing our processes, but we’ll see what we can do.

Miriam and Angela, you might be needed a bit more frequently in the next couple of months before we get more folks on board.
I’ll chat with you both out of the meeting.
[Trainers] Jill record a short video on what this is

Ambitious and not yet done.
[Andrea, Jill, Trainers / Promotion] Create new email questionnaire follow-up system and/or Zoom interviews; Send it out to previous facilitators; Start collecting case studies for marketing ?

Very ambitious and not yet done.

That is the June list!

@angelasjin: That’s a really ambitious list, and even though everything isn’t checked off, a lot of great work was done! So, awesome job!

Upcoming items on the roadmap:

June – July

[Translations] Translating the workshop and materials to Brazilian Portuguese and Italian
[Trainers] Contact past attendees and dormant emails (not responded in several months) to let the new speaker wranglers this year know about workshop and see if they’d like training
[Trainers] Contact past attendees to see if they’d like to take it again
[Trainers] Contact past attendees for their info for the “Past Workshops Celebration” page
[Jill] Communication and accountability system

July

[Promotion] Jill finish Build Speaker Roster essay
[Promotion] Put the workshop into the materials for WordCamp Speaker wranglers and the Meetups info
[Training, Promotion] Create a “Past Workshops Celebration” page on Make WordPress that shows images, stats, and maybe stories of each workshop

The ongoing items are going well.

Except that I missed the June newsletter workshop deadline by a bit and so they didn’t publish the new testimonial and info about today’s training. We have sorted out a system so that that won’t happen again next month.

Next Actions

  1. All on team, watch my 3 min video to see the impressive work we’ve done so far. (Ignore the end that is promo for taking the work outside of WordPress.) https://diversein.tech/video/
  2. Anyone on our team or any meetup organizers can still sign up for the Train the Trainers later today at 5-7pm Eastern time. https://tiny.cc/wpdiversity
  3. Jill finishing calendly setup this week.
  4. I need 6 volunteers to do a one-hour call with me to test the new biography exercise. Three signed up today. Three more please!
  5. Jill schedule the biography testing calls with the volunteers.
  6. Jill create poll to schedule when as many people as possible on our team can attend a recording session of our whole workshop to use in our training material. Aiming for September.
  7. I would love to have a co-lead for communicating with #polyglots about Translations with me. Who would be willing do this ongoing project with me?
  8. Translations follow up with @rahuldsarker about future Bangali translation
  9. Jill talk to @miriamgoldman and @angelasjin about upcoming Training schedule
  10. Training team talk about onboarding the rest of future Trainers

End: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1561571805113300

#wpdiversity

Recap of the Diversity Outreach Speaker Training meeting on June 12, 2019

Attending: @jillbinder @miriamgoldman @amyjune @angelasjin @aurooba @bhargavmehta @immeet94 @cguntur

Start: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1560358867217900

Agenda

  1. Reports
  2. A small admin task for someone: cross-reference our Helpscout queue with our Tracking sheet to separate out which requests came in 2019.
  3. Reviewing the Roadmap
  4. Talk about the Trainers process coming up: June – First internal improvements and have a Training last week of June (cc @angelasjin and @miriamgoldman); July – More internal improvements and another Training
  5. Next Actions
  6. Marketing Action Items

1. Reports

@jillbinder
Last time we finalized and started changing everywhere our new hashtag: #WPDiversity.

We’ve talked for a while about having a cleaner, shorter name for our group. Especially as we are going to be promoting our team a lot coming up.
It was: Diversity Outreach Speaker Training group. @andreamiddleton and I have been bouncing around names for months, and we just landed on Diverse Speaker Training group. I ran it by our team last week and everyone who replied was a yes. So now it is official.

@miriamgoldman, @angelasjin, and I tried out Actioned for the project management, and I didn’t like it. I didn’t have the clear view of what everyone is doing that I thought I’d have.

@angelasjin: Everything that @jillbinder said. Actioned was interesting for sure, but TrelloTrello Project management system using the concepts of boards and cards to organize tasks in a sane way. This is what the make.wordpress.com/marketing team uses for example: https://trello.com/b/8UGHVBu8/wp-marketing. provides a better view. Great suggestion @aurooba!

@miriamgoldman: Ditto on the Actioned. I agree that it wasn’t clear. Neat, but unclear.

@jillbinder: If you’re putting up your own card in Trello, there is a template of the format that you can copy and paste if you wish to use the same.

Can someone who has access to the Trello be our point person for requests for invites from folks?

@cguntur: I can do that

@jillbinder We all like doing Trello that is a hybrid of a view of what everyone is doing, along with @aurooba’s suggestions of splitting up things that aren’t doing yet, doing, and done.

Here is the new Trello:
https://trello.com/b/xnIFkJo0/diverse-speakers-training-wpdiversity-project-tracker

I’m using the card format that I created early this year with a project manager to help make sure everyone is really clear what they are doing, by when, etc. When I put a card up for you, please feel free to edit it.

Also if you’re putting up your own card, there is a template of the format that you can copy and paste if you wish to use the same.

Oh yes, one more thing on Trello. I have a column for Unassigned. It has cards that anyone can grab and do.

Just know that I will mostly be able to answer questions Mon – Thurs, and that I practise deep focus so I go through periods of turning notifications off… so I may not reply right away.

@jillbinder: Lastly from me, I have been working hard on our Roadmap, which we will look at later in the meeting.

@miriamgoldman
I promoted our team, under the old name, on the BoldGrid podcast a few weeks ago.

@aurooba
We’ve identified that the marketing route we want to take is to focus on community organizers and folks who can run the speaker training workshop in their communities.

To that end:
1) Short Term Plan: we want to devise a short term marketing plan that starts to get the word out a bit more
2) Outreach Tools: Create a set of outreach tools and resources to support organizers in running a successful workshop. There is a document set up to start brainstorming in: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15g5-nvP8P1s2OhixaRdQCVhxRMWqCOCyVWimChjubGU/edit and the Marketing Team will also be helping out during WCEU Contributor Day with ideas for these tools (you can see the trello card for that here: https://trello.com/c/zuaNHK0o), since many people there are within our target audience. Anyone here can also feel free to include their ideas. The objective is to identify 5-8 tools and resources that we can develop by the end of August 2019 to share with folks about to/interested in running the workshop in their community.
3) Marketing Roadmap: I’m working on setting up a marketing plan and will have something more to share and for everyone to contribute to next meeting. :slightly_smiling_face:
4) Everyone’s ideas are welcome on the marketing side, so please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have thoughts!

@jillbinder:
Wow, fantastic work @aurooba! Just so everyone knows, Aurooba is going to be our Marketing lead. We met yesterday with Andrea, and Aurooba’s done all this in just one day.

@simo70
@jillbinder: I know that @simo70 ran the workshop yesterday, so we’ll follow up with her soon.

I’m running it again in Vancouver. I did it in person in May and I’m doing 2 online sessions in June. Session 1 last Saturday went great (lessons 1 & 2) and Session 2 (lessons 3-5) is this coming Saturday.

2. Admin task

Speaking of cards that anyone can grab, I have a relatively easy one for anyone who has access to our Helpscout queue (or would be willing to gain access).

Our workshop tracker spreadsheet currently doesn’t have years on the entries. It would be great to start up a new sheet in the same doc for 2019 and refer to Helpscout to see which ones should be moved over to the 2019 sheet. Can anyone do this?

https://trello.com/c/rJWBh6qm/17-workshop-tracker-sheet-for-2019

@bhargavmehta: I can do Helpscout task. (I don’t have access to it).

@angelasjin: I will get you access to the HelpScout account.

3. Roadmap

@jillbinder
Our team has a roadmap now for May 2019 – April 2020. It is here:
https://make.wordpress.org/community/2019/06/11/diverse-speakers-training-group-road-map/

@angelasjin: Looks very solid to me! And you can confirm August trainings in my timezone.

@jillbinder: One of the things I’d like to point out on it is some of the flow:

Before the first training last week of June:

  • Improving our internal Train the Trainers flow (especially getting started on calendly and improving how we do Helpscout)
  • Putting the improvements into the material that we have
  • Putting requests for feedback, stories, photos, stats, etc into the workshop

In July:

  • Set up the system for participants to need to have scheduled a workshop meetupMeetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. first (maybe put that up as optional in June)

In August:

  • Start rolling out the improved “long” and “short” training

In the Fall:

  • Start creating the new Training videos for the new “long” and “short”
    I think most of these are “Jill to do” items, but if I can delegate anything I will, or if you see anything I could delegate, please let me know.

A note that the Marketing roadmap isn’t posted yet as that is something that @aurooba is going to be working on and then post it on the P2P2 P2 or O2 is the term people use to refer to the Make WordPress blog. It can be found at https://make.wordpress.org/. when it’s ready.

I took a guess on Translations. @sheilagomes and @simo7, we can edit this schedule as you see fit! Also we should focus on the new “long” and “short” trainings rather than the 5 modules for Translations now. If that works for you, as I know you’ve already started. We can discuss.

I do have something for someone now. The #training team has a complicated githubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ way of submitting changes to training material. @lswanson learned it last year and was our person to do this, but he is no longer available. Would someone techie who could be available within a couple of business days each time a change is needed be able to do this? It requires watching and understanding a number of training videos from the #training team.

@miriamgoldman: I can potentially do it. Can I confirm with you tomorrow @jillbinder?

@cguntur: I know GitHub. I can help too…

3. June Training

Let’s schedule a Training for the last week of June. @miriamgoldman it would be great if you could coordinate with @aurooba’s schedule so we can try to pick a time she can attend….

@bhargavmehta: I will also wish to attend

@jillbinder: It’ll be a great chance to test Calendly as well. Even though it’ll only be one choice, we can test out the system that way.

Next Actions

  1. @miriamgoldman is pinging @aurooba tomorrow about Training times and also checking with @bhargavmehta
  2. @miriamgoldman is letting Jill know tomorrow about doing the #training github process, and then Jill is discussing with the interested folks
  3. @bhargavmehta is creating a new sheet in our workshop tracker for 2019 and putting all of the 2019 requests from Helpscout into it (including trainings that were completed, so you’ll need to check the Closed queue as well).
  4. @angelasjin is getting @bhargavmehta access to Helpscout (Done)
  5. @jillbinder giving @cguntur admin access to Trello so people can ask her for invites (Done)
  6. @aurooba create cards in our Trello with the template for the Marketing items

Marketing Action Items:

  1. @aurooba: Draft marketing roadmap plan and open it up for feedback next meeting.
  2. Everyone who wishes to Start coming up with outreach tool ideas and flesh them out a little with an outline of what they would contain in the doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15g5-nvP8P1s2OhixaRdQCVhxRMWqCOCyVWimChjubGU/edit If you need access, please pingPing The act of sending a very small amount of data to an end point. Ping is used in computer science to illicit a response from a target server to test it’s connection. Ping is also a term used by Slack users to @ someone or send them a direct message (DM). Users might say something along the lines of “Ping me when the meeting starts.” me (@aurooba)

End: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C037W5S7X/p1560362422302100

Diverse Speakers Training Group Road Map

The Diverse Speakers Training group #WPDiversity (formerly Diversity Outreach Speaker Training #WPWomenSpeak) has created a Roadmap for the length of @jillbinder‘s first contract, May 2019 – April 2020.

We are posting it here for feedback and to interest new volunteers to join the group.

Introduction

This working group helps WordPress Meetups and WordCamps develop a more diverse speaker roster via a training (workshop) that helps folks bust through their Impostor Syndrome and develop a topic, title, pitch, bio, and outline.

Goals by the end of April 2020

  • Improve the training based on the feedback from the feedback questionnaires results and things Jill has learned
  • Promote the training and results of training to WordPress community organizers and prospective speakers (identify metrics here — number of tweets/articles/pageviews)
  • 25 workshops held in chapter meetups or WordCamps
  • Train 30 people to run the speaker training workshop
  • Train 125 people from marginalized communities to become speakers

Roadmap

Notes

“Andrea” refers to @andreamiddleton.
* and bolded – Stretch goals

Ongoing (Daily or Monthly tasks)

  • [Admin] Checking Helpscout for new signups
  • [Trainers] Updating calendly with trainings and communicating to participants about them
  • [Trainers] Run 1-2 Trainings a month
  • [Promotion] Write monthly Meetups newsletter article by 10th of the month (ish)

May 2019

  • [Admin] Restart team (Done)
  • [Promotion] Create new hashtag and update everywhere (Done)
  • [Andrea and Jill or Team] Vocabulary for workshops vs trainings (Done)
  • Improving our offering based on the email questionnaires (and the ideas already in Jill’s head) (Done – not yet published)

May – July

  • [Andrea, Jill, team] Smoothing out our processes

June

  • [Material] Improving the training based on the feedback from email questionnaires and things Jill has learned
  • [Promotion] Create a shorter team name (Done)
  • [Team] Publish roadmap; Recruit more volunteers
  • [Trainers] Get us using new systems (calendly, require they’ve created a meetupMeetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. for it, email questionnaire)
  • [Trainers] Schedule first new training(s) starting in June
  • [Trainers] Start giving trainings again, 1-2 times a month
  • [Trainers] Jill record a short video on what this is
  • [Andrea, Jill, Trainers / Promotion] Create new email questionnaire follow-up system and/or Zoom interviews; Send it out to previous facilitators; Start collecting case studies for marketing ?

June – July

  • [Translations] Translating the workshop and materials to Brazilian Portuguese and Italian
  • [Trainers] Contact past attendees and dormant emails (not responded in several months) to let the new speaker wranglers this year know about workshop and see if they’d like training
  • [Trainers] Contact past attendees to see if they’d like to take it again
  • [Trainers] Contact past attendees for their info for the “Past Workshops Celebration” page
  • [Jill] Communication and accountability system

July

  • [Promotion] Jill finish Build Speaker Roster essay
  • [Promotion] Put the workshop into the materials for WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Speaker wranglers and the Meetups info
  • [Training, Promotion] Create a “Past Workshops Celebration” page on Make WordPress that shows images, stats, and maybe stories of each workshop

August

  • * [Workshop] Short and long version of workshop
  • [Trainers] Trainings in different time zones start (to confirm with @angelasjin)

August – September

  • [Translations] Translated the workshop and materials to another 1-2 languages

September

  • * [Self-guided Training] Record 10-20 minute “how to use”
  • * [Self-guided Training] Have team attend a training that we record for Train The Trainers
  • * [Languages] Start onboarding trainers who can do other languages

October

  • * [Self-guided Training] Record module facilitator notes

October – November

  • [Translations] Translated the workshop and materials to another 1-2 languages

January 2020

  • * [Languages] Start offering trainings in different languages
  • More frequent trainings start. 3-4 time a month?

Marketing

@aurooba is taking on creating a Roadmap for Promotion. These are Andrea and Jill’s suggestions before consulting with her:

  • Change the hashtag to #WPDiversity (Done)
  • Create a shorter team name (Done)
  • Case studies from each of the groups that ran this training last year (they can write, or we can write, or marketing can write) (by end of Aug…)
  • People to talk about the change the training has had on their lives, on podcasts and in blog posts.
  • Video series interviewing people who’ve benefited from the training program — Allies here: Marketing or WPTV team  (only if it will be high leverage)
  • Get on multiple podcasts talking about the group and its work
  • Our own twitter?
  • Editorial calendar for the outreach effort (after a road map is outlined), plus ways to pull in the Marketing team
  • Finish and promote the “Build A Diverse Speaker Roster” Essay (https://make.wordpress.org/community/2018/09/13/input-requested-building-a-diverse-speaker-roster-document/)
  • A page somewhere in the WordPress ecosystem to show pictures, stats, and maybe stories of all the places that had our workshops. A little public visibility to encourage people to send us their info.


Visual Roadmap

This is a version of the above put in a summary form so that it could be laid out visually.

* {Curly brackets} are the stretch goals.

Feedback

Comment here with your feedback, or write to @jillbinder on the WordPress slackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/..

How To Get Involved

We are always looking for folks who care about Diversity in WordPress (#WPDiversity). We are looking for:

  • Big-picture thinkers
  • Project management strategists
  • Content strategists
  • Marketing strategists
  • People who can carry out a marketing plan
  • Trainers (we will train you)
  • Folks who can do small admin tasks
  • Folks who can just give opinions here and there to help guide us through the big and little decisions
  • Translators
  • and more!

Comment here with your interest, write to @jillbinder on the WordPress Slack, or attend tomorrow’s meeting (2nd and 4th Wednesdays) on the #community-team Slack channel: Wednesday, June 12 @ 5pm UTC.