In the past weeks, @mysweetcate and I have been working to update the Community Supporter and Manager Handbook. In addition to making sure that the new naming is consistent on all pages (event supporters, program supporters, program managers have replaced mentors Event Supporter (formerly Mentor) is someone who has already organised a WordCamp and has time to meet with their assigned mentee every 2 weeks, they talk over where they should be in their timeline, help them to identify their issues, and also identify solutions for their issues., deputies Community Program Supporters (formerly Deputies) are a team of people worldwide who review WordCamp and Meetup applications, interview lead organizers, and keep things moving at WordCamp Central. Find more about program supporters in our Program Supporter Handbook., and super deputies Program Managers (formerly Super Deputies) are Program Supporters who can perform extra tasks on WordCamp.org like creating new sites and publishing WordCamps to the schedule.), we’ve updated some process pages.
Below you can find the main updates:
We’ve additionally created new pages with new processes to test, so please provide feedback:
- Group Orientations. As much as possible, we’d love to automate our process for group orientations, so that each supporter can host fewer meetings and more organizers at the same time, and we can connect new organizers to each other. Please try to follow this documentation and leave feedback.
- Group Orientation Calendar. If the Group orientation process works, we’ll add all program supporter Community Program Supporters (formerly Deputies) are a team of people worldwide who review WordCamp and Meetup applications, interview lead organizers, and keep things moving at WordCamp Central. Find more about program supporters in our Program Supporter Handbook. availability in this page, and this will be the page to link in the orientation invitation email.
Finally, we are continuing to update the onboarding process for new supporters. While the goal is to have a simple and streamlined process, it shouldn’t be confusing or create extra work. These are still under development and I will share links as they become available.
- The application has been adjusted to make it easier to see what role the applicant is applying for.
- The training course is being split into two separate courses: a Community Team Basics and a Program Supporter Tasks version. This split will allow all supporters to have the same basic training with only Program Supporters needing to take the additional course. The courses are also being updated to reflect the new names and any process that have changed.
- We are working to have access to the Meetup tracker and WordCamp tracker split. This will allow event supporters to review Meetup applications and other Meetup-related tasks.
- One of the Meetup-related tasks we are working on is continued check ups on dormant (possibly all) meetups Meetup groups are locally-organized groups that get together for face-to-face events on a regular basis (commonly once a month). Learn more about Meetups in our Meetup Organizer Handbook., similar to what was done during the meetup reactivation, but a bit more streamlined.
We will be continuing this work through the end of the year. I will be moving to the lead role and Cate will enjoy a bit of a break in the supporting role. If any community program supporter or manager wants join us on this project, it would be fantastic for us! Please feel free to comment this post or reach out to me or @mysweetcate.