Attending: @coachbirgit, @franrosa, @jasonways, @jillbinder, @martatorre, @onealtr, @sc0ttkclark, @wpfangirl
0 – Check-ins (everyone)
1 – First time here
Info for newcomers
2 – Who we are (@jillbinder)
Our goals, our 3 initiatives, how people can help
3 – WPDiversity Member Updates (everyone)
- Reached out to diverse groups of speakers for the upcoming WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Germany
- Working on organizing a global DEIB working group team on the WordPress Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/.
- Will facilitate a session on DEIB in WordPress at the WordPress Community Summit
- interviewed on a podcast and we talked about the DEIB diversity initiative and this group
4 – Setting you up for my time away: (@jillbinder)
- @jillbinder is taking an extended break for 4 months, starting September 1, 2023
- Jill invited the group to keep the work going:
- these 2nd and 4th Wednesday #WPDiversity Slack meetings
- our 2 workshops -> especially for local WordCamps / meetups Meetup groups are locally-organized groups that get together for face-to-face events on a regular basis (commonly once a month). Learn more about Meetups in our Meetup Organizer Handbook.. There is a growing need for more localized help.
- How to Own Your Expertise & Start Speaking at WordPress Events
- Organizing Diverse & Inclusive WordPress Events
5 – Shorter version of our Inclusion workshop with the Training team – who can take this on? (@jillbinder)
We are looking for someone to:
- Work with @webtechpooja in the Training Team to put it into the format that the Training Team needs it in – to make it into shorter, more digestible content.
- Create quiz questions
- Work with the Training Team on creating polished videos –> you don’t need to be in the videos yourself, but you would be the contact leading finding the person/people to be in them
6 – Diversity in Spain projects (@martatorre)
- Marta will be working on materials next week with @franrosa
- Next year Marta will organise an event specialising in accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility)
7 – Diversity in Asia (@onealtr)
- Lots of events coming up in Asia: Meetups and WordCamps are in full swing.
- Some WordCamps are already announcing their speaker lineup and you can clearly see the diversity in the selection!
8 – Comments, questions, ideas (anyone)