A massive thank you to all who have participated in the discussions about the next generation of WordPress events, and who have facilitated the discussions in their communities.
Below are some nice numbers to share about the progress this far:
- 64 ideas shared
- 59 organizers willing to follow up on their ideas
- 8 pilot events confirmed, of which 6 will happen in 2023
Here are the proposed formats for the 2023 pilot events:
- Low-cost WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more.: 90 attendees, no swag, no social dinner, no after party. 1 Track. The goal is to motivate and help new and veteran organizers to create a lighter, impactful event that is low cost and requires less time, financial resources, and fewer organizers/volunteers. Location: Leipzig (Germany). Date: Jul 1, 2023.
- WordPress Day: contributor event for 50 attendees focusing on 3 areas of contribution. The goal is to bring new contributors to the community and retain them by organizing multiple events every year. Location: Sevilla (Spain). Date: Jul 2, 2023.
- Rural: 1-day itinerant event per quarter to bring WP to rural areas in small towns/villages. WP activities in the morning, lunch locally, paid for by attendees, and in the afternoon, nature and cultural related activities to connect with the territory and local people. The goal is to bring WP to different rural areas, teach WP to local residents, bring people from the city to the villages, and expand the community. Location: Catalonia rural areas (Spain). Date: TBD, 2023.
- WP for Publishers: 1-day event for folks who use WP for publishing. Discuss the new most used features and brainstorm about new ones. The goal is to bring publishers together who currently use different platforms and introduce them to WordPress as an alternative, and hopefully sway them to make a switch. Location: Bengaluru. Date: TBD, 2023.
- Community Day: 1 day event made by WP organizers for WP organizers. 60 attendees max, hopefully from all Meetups Meetup groups are locally-organized groups that get together for face-to-face events on a regular basis (commonly once a month). Learn more about Meetups in our Meetup Organizer Handbook. in the country, to attend workshops and refine their community management and event planning skills. The goal is to train and empower current and aspiring organizers, so they can foster sustainable and healthy communities. Location: Roma (Italy). Date: Sep 29, 2023.
- Scale-up Workshop. 1-day training event that hosts 50 people with basic WordPress proficiency. The goal is to show the potential of WordPress and to enhance participants’ WordPress skills by diving into the world of WordPress for enterprise. Location: Tegal (Indonesia). Date: October 22, 2023.
This is so exciting, and it’s just the beginning, friends! The community is abuzz with ideas .
If you want to organize a pilot event in 2023 and haven’t submitted your idea yet, please do it now via this form: https://wordpressdotorg.survey.fm/next-generation-of-wordpress-events
Can’t wait to see all these new events happening!
Thank you @devinmaeztri, @harmonyromo, @nao for your precious help in drafting this post.