Welcome to the recap post of the contributor working group’s mentorship chat that was held on June 15th, 2023. In this chat, we finalized the dates for our pilot mentorship cohort (July 12th to August 9th), and kicked off project management in preparation for the same.
In attendance: @adityakane @oglekler @yoga1103 @st810amaze @onealtr @tobifjellner @javiercasares @courane01 @sereedmedia @juliarosia @harishanker @leonnugraha @patricia70 @webtechpooja @casiepa @realloc @peiraisotta @coachbirgit @angelasjin @chaion07 @ronakganatra @fitehal @sumitsingh @siddhantwadhwani @carl-alberto @kafleg @hapiucrobert @devinmaeztri @zunaid321 @christopheramirian
We kicked off the chat by sharing our project updates thus far:
- Thanks to @leogopal, we now have a fully-fledged GitHub project board for our project. Our group will be working on adding tasks and content to the board. Group members also shared their wordpress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ and GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ profiles to be added to the board.
- We also have a draft of the call for mentees post which is ready for publishing.
Updates from WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Europe 2023
The Contributor Working Group had an informal tribe meeting at WordCamp Europe 2023 with nearly twelve participants. We did an informal discussion of the program, introduced the pilot, and brainstormed different aspects of our program. In the discussion, we arrived at two important updates:
- Our pilot cohort will kick off on the second week of July (July 12th) and will run for four weeks until August 4th. We discussed this at the cohort and group members approved the same.
- Continuing from our last chat, we finalized the following teams were finalized for our pilot.
- Core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress.
Wins from the past month
Our group did not forget to celebrate some wins from the last month!
- Our contributor mentorship program was featured on the June Edition (Episode 57) of The Official WordPress Podcast – WP Briefing. Support from @chanthaboune – our executive director, was a great encouragement for our group and for our work!
- At WordCamp Europe 2023, our group and our work got a lot of attention with several folks expressing interest in being a mentor Event Supporter (formerly Mentor) is someone who has already organised a WordCamp and has time to meet with their assigned mentee every 2 weeks, they talk over where they should be in their timeline, help them to identify their issues, and also identify solutions for their issues., mentee, or a facilitator. Our mentorship program also found a prominent mention in the event’s keynote session with Matt Mullenweg, Josepha Haden, and Matias Ventura. Check out the Q&A video of WordCamp Europe 2023 to catch the moment!
While our wins were humbling, we reminded ourselves that we still have miles to go!
Implementation and Project Management for our Pilot
With dates finalized, we started working on steps to implement our pilot program. We’ll be using our GitHub Project Board to coordinate everything. The action items are divided into high and medium priority, and we sought group members’ help in proceeding with it.
High Priority Action items
- Call for Mentees announcement
We already have a draft post going which we aim to publish by early next week. Make/Marketing has also offered to review and amplify the same
- Finalizing our mentors Event Supporter (formerly Mentor) is someone who has already organised a WordCamp and has time to meet with their assigned mentee every 2 weeks, they talk over where they should be in their timeline, help them to identify their issues, and also identify solutions for their issues.
Many group members have offered to become mentors for our program, we hope to finalize at least 5-10 mentors. For our cohort.
- Recruit Make/Team Representatives and support their involvement in our pilot.
As shared earlier, we have the following teams in our pilot program. Core, Community, Docs, Photos, Polyglots, Support, Test, and Training. Group members offered to reach out to these teams to get support for our program.
Medium Priority Action Items
- Audit Learn WordPress courses 🔍
Since our program’s learning content is based on Learn WordPress, we’re asking group members if they could audit these courses:
Group members can note down changes or suggestions in this Google Doc: Suggested Changes to Learn WordPress Contributor Courses
- Prepare mentor script or playbook 📜
We’re working on a detailed step-by-step guide that mentors can use to adequately support mentees as they go through the contributor mentorship program. We’re collaborating together in this task using this boilerplate script document.
- Facilitating the program ⚓
We also asked cohort members to support by facilitating the program (keeping the cohort active and overseeing program progress). While all group members will be engaged in this, anyone who has more bandwidth to support was encouraged to join.
Making Progress Towards the Pilot Program
With less than a month remaining until the pilot program, we decided to meet more frequently. Our idea is to:
- Try a weekly sync on our task, synchronously or asynchronously in the #community-team channel.
- Do at least one synchronous audio/video chat before our event.
- Start a dedicated channel for the working group discussions, but default to public in #community-team as much as possible.
- We discussed the possibility of a multilingual cohort. While the mentorship cohort will be in English, we’ll try to make it as local as possible by assigning mentors based on language preferences. @javiercasares is also attempting to translate our cohort’s content to Spanish for Spanish language speaking mentees. He has already kickstarted work on the same and is looking for collaborators! @coachbirgit has offered to support German mentees, while @leonnugraha has kindly offered to support mentees from Indonesia.
- @angelasjin suggested that we amplify our program in the #team-reps channel to get broad support from team representatives.
- Our group members felt strongly about the need for a dedicated channel to discuss the program. So while we will attempt to work in public as much as possible, we will also create and use a dedicated Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel for focussed discussions.
- @pascalcasier offered to do an onboarding for group members to the TV team!
- @milana_cap offered to onboard new contributors to the Docs team.
- We’re attempting to do yet another contributor working group at WCUS WordCamp US. The US flagship WordCamp event. (around contributor day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/.). @s810amaze has offered to help broadcast it live.
#contributor-working-group #mentorship-program #wpcontributors #meeting-notes