Attending: @askdesign, @jillbinder, @martatorre, @onealtr, @volkswagenchick
1 – Attendance and check-ins (everyone)
2 – First time here
3 – Who we are (@jillbinder) + Comments, questions, ideas (anyone)
Questions and things discussed:
@jillbinder: Should we start to connect (do check ins) earlier in the meeting?
@martatorre: I would like to know which volunteers are active in this group, to learn more about them.
@askdesign: When there’s a call for speakers, when is it appropriate for one of us from this group to offer to speak?
@askdesign: Maybe we could compile a list for ourselves about which subjects we could speak on?
4 – Recent & Upcoming workshops (@jillbinder)
@jillbinder reported on success of recent workshops
- “Organizing Diverse and Inclusive WordPress Events Follow-up Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. chat AMER/EMEA – Thursday, April 20, 2023
- Who is available for 15 min plus the hour of the event on April 20 to help out?
- “Organizing Diverse & Inclusive WordPress Events APAC – Saturday, May 13, 2023
5 – Landing Page (@jillbinder)
@Santana.Inniss has a great idea for us: Create a Marketing Landing Page with simple, clear messages about our programs and events. Who can write a first draft? Who else can make suggestions and edits?
6 – WPDiversity APAC (@onealtr)
@onealtr reported on meetup Meetup groups are locally-organized groups that get together for face-to-face events on a regular basis (commonly once a month). Learn more about Meetups in our Meetup Organizer Handbook. reactivation and upcoming WordCamps in APAC
7 – Diversity in Spain project (@martatorre)
@martatorre will hold the first diversity table on Contributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/. in Spain at WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Barcelona! (Jill’s note: This will be the first diversity table on Contributor Day outside of a flagship WordCamp!)
@martatorre will speak at WordCamp Barcelona with the topic: “Why do I have to fight for diversity in WordPress?” She is getting help with collecting data for the talk and for our team’s use.
8 – WPDiversity t-shirts (@martatorre)
@martatorre asked if group members are interested in buying the WordPress diversity t-shirt: https://mercantile.wordpress.org/product/diversity-wordpress-t-shirt/
9 – Speaker Wins Game (@jillbinder)
@jillbinder talked about our very first speaker wins accountability game for speaker journeys, and encouraging people to use the new wins form that we just launched on #diverse-speaker-support and asked for how it can be improved.
10 – Other Updates + Next meeting host (anyone)
- @juliarosia and @jillbinder have started compiling a list of people in #diverse-speaker-support who have topics ready to go, and we are going to show this list to Meetup organizers. Please add yourselves: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C028SE81N3H/p1680640448300839
- @askdesign will be our next meeting host on April 26, 2023.
- @oneal, one of our long-term, invaluable #WPDiversity team members, received the Yoast Care fund! Nominated by @planningwrite