In November 2021, the #WPDiversity group:
- Held a special train the trainers workshop for empowering WordPress women speakers in Latin America
- Held the first workshop for the cohort number two of the new Allyship program
- Held a Diverse Speaker workshop for Southern to Southeast Asia
- Invited past workshop participants to join the new #diverse-speaker-support channel.
Train the Trainers (for Diverse Speakers program)
Empower Women Speakers For your WordPress Events in Latin America, November 6, 2021
By special request, a training for empowering WordPress women in Latin America held as a hybrid event both in-person and online.
- Number who attended in person and online: 25
- From number of cities: 4
- From number of countries: 3 Costa Rica, Mexico, and Nicaragua
- Languages: Spanish and English. We had two live translators: One doing verbal translations live and the other doing text on the Zoom chat.
Thanks a lot for the super useful information that was shared in the event, I feel that now with the right tools I will be able to replicate this in my beloved country (Mexico) and bring more women into tech who also want to succeed in their careers by learning the right tools to communicate and be more confident about their skills.
— Maryl Gonzalez, Co-Founder @ The App Chefs, Guadalajara, Mexico
Thanks to Ericka and Jill for the great job that you have done. Thank you for all of the organization and community work you have put into this. It’s great to see you collecting the fruits of your work. It is extremely important for women to support women. I’m very happy to see this community of women together in person and help each other grow. This workshop initiative is a very important thing for us.
— Gabriela Salas
Allyship for WordPress event organizers AMER/EMEA, November 17, 2021
We are running the new Allyship program in quarterly cohorts. This was the first workshop for the second cohort.
It was an interactive watch party of the “Creating a Welcoming and Diverse Space Part 1” on Learn WordPress. We paused the video for doing exercises in the workbook and having discussions.
Number who attended: 9
From number of cities: 9
From number of countries: 6 (Bangladesh, Canada, Luxembourg, South Africa, Sweden, and United States)
Self-reported increase in preparedness to help create more inclusive WordPress event after taking the workshop: 52%
“Diversity is something that needs to be shared more and discussed more. It helps people understand differences and embrace the true meaning of inclusivity. That is why I highly recommend this workshop to everyone to attend at least once and see how it can help your perspective towards bringing awareness to your WordPress community.”
— Earl Cruz, Customer Success Manager, Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
This workshop was super helpful for me. After the workshop, I left with so many ideas on how I can make my events more diverse and accessible.
— Farhan Sabir – Web Developer – Växjö, Sweden
Diverse Speakers Program
Diverse Speaker Workshop Southern to Southeast Asia, November 27, 2021
“How to Own Your Expertise & Start Speaking at WordPress Events”
Number who attended: 3
From number of cities: 3
From number of countries: 2 (Indonesia, and Zimbabwe)
Languages: English and Indonesian. Thank you to @devinmaeztri for translating back and forth for one of the attendees from Indonesia.
Self-reported increase in public speaking confidence after taking the workshop: 27%
Diverse Speaker Support Program
We have set up a brand-new Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel, diverse-speaker-support, in the Make WordPress Slack for past participants of our Diverse Speaker workshops to:
- Workshop talks with each other and with mentors Someone who has already organised a WordCamp and has time to meet with their assigned mentee every 2 weeks, they talk over where they should be in their timeline, help them to identify their issues, and also identify solutions for their issues.
- Find out about WordPress speaking opportunities from WordPress Meetups Meetup groups are locally-organized groups that get together for face-to-face events on a regular basis (commonly once a month). Learn more about Meetups in our Meetup Organizer Handbook. and WordCamps
Number of past #WPDiversity Workshop participants who joined in November: 5
A lot of people contribute to making these workshops successful. Thank you to each and every one!
Love this? Come attend a workshop!
Watch https://make.wordpress.org/community/tag/wpdiversityworkshops/ for our next workshop announcement in the new year.
If you are holding a WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. in 2022, or looking for more speakers for your WordPress Meetup Meetup groups are locally-organized groups that get together for face-to-face events on a regular basis (commonly once a month). Learn more about Meetups in our Meetup Organizer Handbook. this coming year, we would like to help you get more great speakers. Please get in touch with @jillbinder on the WordPress Slack and we will arrange a #WPDiversity speakers workshop for you.