After the discussion on my proposal about a dedicated communication place for deputies, we agreed to experiment with a private #community-deputies channel in Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/.. In the discussion, we also agreed to do a public review after three and six months to see how the channel has worked and decide its continuation. The channel was created in December, so it’s time for the first review.
The purpose of the channel is to be a safe place for all deputies Community Program Supporters (formerly Deputies) are a team of people worldwide who review WordCamp and Meetup applications, interview lead organizers, and keep things moving at WordCamp Central. Find more about program supporters in our Program Supporter Handbook. to discuss sensitive and private aspects of our work, get peer-support when needed and ask second opinions for event applications. It’s not meant for discussions that could take place in public forums like this blog, #community-team or #community-events channel.
Guidelines for the channel are:
- As we all are busy and have an abundance of unread notifications, please avoid irrelevant chatter.
- Help to create a safe and welcoming space for all deputies. Be empathetic and help answer questions when you can!
- If you feel that the discussion should take place in a public forum, say it and help to move the discussion to the #community-team channel or Community Team blog.
- Any decision making that will affect the broader community will be made in public. Help others be aware of when they might be making a decision that should happen after public discussion.
As this year has continued being really strange, I think we really can’t use many numeric metrics while reviewing the channel. That’s why I’d like us to have an open, free form, discussion. Here are some questions to help start that discussion:
- Has there been discussion about topics that should have been taken place in public forums instead?
- Have you got help with some issue in the channel, which you’d normally handled by yourself or asked help from another deputy Community Program Supporters (formerly Deputies) are a team of people worldwide who review WordCamp and Meetup applications, interview lead organizers, and keep things moving at WordCamp Central. Find more about program supporters in our Program Supporter Handbook. in a private message?
- Has the channel helped you feel more connected to the team?
- In general, what is your feeling about the discussion that has taken place on the channel?
- Should we continue to keep using a private deputy channel?
Active deputies, please share your thoughts and raise new important questions to the discussion. This is also an open invitation for all community members to ask questions about the channel, which could help us with the review.
Discussion is open until 2021-03-29. If the result of the review looks like there’s no justification for private working space for deputies, the channel will be shut off at the beginning of April. In case the experiment continues, we will do another public review in three months.
Thanks to @angelasjin, @andreamiddleton and @kcristiano who helped with this post.