Months ago, I posted a proposal on creating a new dedicated Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel for deputies Community Program Supporters (formerly Deputies) are a team of people worldwide who review WordCamp and Meetup applications, interview lead organizers, and keep things moving at WordCamp Central. Find more about program supporters in our Program Supporter Handbook.. After a long and really good discussion, the deputies reached a consensus and would like to give the channel a try, after a set of guidelines have been formed. If you don’t have an idea what I’m talking about, and the idea of a private channel sounds bad to you, I suggest reading the original proposal and discussion that followed that.
It’s now (finally) time to form those guidelines and embark on this experiment together!
These guidelines aspire to be encouraging and not discouraging. These are more to give an idea on the purpose of the channel, rather than creating an uncertain feeling around whether something can be raised to the discussion in the channel. My hope is to keep these as short and clear as possible.
To provide extra clarity on who will be in the channel, and how it will be used:
- All deputies with “Active” status in this sheet will be invited to the channel.
- The main purpose of the channel is to provide a safe space, and to improve peer support for all deputies, especially those new to the role. In this channel, deputies who are uncertain or hesitant can raise issues or ask questions with a smaller group first before doing so publicly. The channel can also be a place to discuss applications that need a second opinion, or for discussions about financial issues that require confidentiality. If some discussion that takes place could be public, it will be moved to a public forum (#community-team channel or this team blog).
- No decisions that affect Community Team, event organisers or the greater WordPress project will be made in the private channel.
- We’ll do a public review on the Community Team’s blog on how the channel has worked after three and six months
My proposal for the deputy Community Program Supporters (formerly Deputies) are a team of people worldwide who review WordCamp and Meetup applications, interview lead organizers, and keep things moving at WordCamp Central. Find more about program supporters in our Program Supporter Handbook. channel guidelines are:
- As we all are busy and have an abundance of unread notifications, please avoid irrelevant chatter.
- Help to create a safe and welcoming space for all deputies. Be empathetic and help answer questions when you can!
- If you feel that the discussion should take place in a public forum, say it and help to move the discussion to the #community-team channel or Community Team blog.
- Any decision making that will affect the broader community will be made in public. Help others be aware when they might be making a decision that should happen after public discussion.
Feel free to share your ideas, thoughts, additions and changes to these proposed guidelines before 2020-11-19. After that, I’ll move forward and ask Slack admins to create the new channel for us.
Thank you @angelasjin, @harishanker, @andreamiddleton and @courtneypk for helping with this post!