The continued growth and sustainability of WordPress relies on a diverse, continuously growing and evolving community of Contributors. Experienced, long-time contributors; new, eager to learn contributors; and everyone in between, are all key to our community and essential for sparking new ideas, considering different perspectives, preventing burnout, and maintaining a healthy community
At this moment, there is a lot of information already on how to get involved for each Make Team. However it’s not always easy for new Contributors to figure out how they can participate and get started. While there is information available on running a standalone Contributor Event, it can be a challenge for organizers to connect with all the different teams that make WordPress.
It would serve us well to have a Community-based working group of volunteers dedicated to creating a comprehensive, centralized location for all Contributor information that will help encourage all Contributors and Contributor Event Planners. This group would also partner with other Teams already implementing contribution-related efforts, like Marketing and Training.
The responsibilities of the Working Group would be:
Compiling onboarding resources
Providing guidance with contributor events
- Mentoring organizers planning a Contributor Event
Enhancing new contributor experience
- Discovering ways to improve New Contributor onboarding experiences
- Being a point of contact for community members who have questions about contributing or need help taking their first step
Coordinating with Make Teams
- Collaborating with Make Teams to update and expand Contributor information
- Coordinate with similar efforts from other Teams
The Contributor Working group will hold regular meetings in Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. to update on progress and participate in real-time discussions around the work being done.
Does this sound like something you would like to be involved in? Please comment below, or send me (@amethystanswers) a direct message on Slack to volunteer. You can also indicate if there is a particular area you would like to focus on. Our goal is to build a well-rounded team.
This initial call for volunteers will remain open until 13:00 UTC on Monday, September 28, 2020.
Edited Sept. 24, 2020 to add:
Wondering if this is the right volunteer opportunity for you? If you have:
- familiarity with Make Teams
- a willingness to do outreach in Slack
- experience organizing WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. or Contributor events
- a love of helping others find ways to contribute
you might be a great fit! And if you still aren’t sure, or have questions, please message me. I’d love to chat!