@chaion07 @courane01 @hlashbrooke @rmarks @rickyblacker @sippis @adityakane
Learn has three main focuses
- Recorded workshops
- Discussion groups based on the workshops
- Lessons plan that people can use to teach others
Responsibilities for this group are:
- Overseeing the development of the site, ensuring that the needed features are built in a timely manner.
- Managing the workshop submission and review process.
- Managing the discussion groups and working to keep them active and relevant.
- Ensuring that the lesson plans remain up to date, and new ones are added as the need arises.
- Seeking out contributors for all areas of the site – lesson plans, workshops, and discussion groups.
- Planning and implementing enhancements to improve the experience and effectiveness of the platform.
- Attending regular meetings in Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. to update on progress and engage in real-time discussions around the work being done.
Current State of Learn
We currently have 7 workshops live on the site with the plan to release at least one a week going forward. There are 3 or 4 in the queue right now from the Speaker Diversity working group, as well as a few others who have been approved and we are waiting on their recordings
We have a dedicated meetup group for this with workshop presenters (and others!) running discussion groups about the workshop content. We could really do with more volunteer discussion group facilitators at this stage, but we’ll discuss that in a moment.
We currently have 60 lesson plans published on the site that have been developed by the Training team and a whole bunch of dedicated volunteers. A visual breakdown can be found on the team’s GitHub repo. Those have been developed on GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ and ported over to the Learn site. The state of what is ready to be live can be found on the team Trello.
we need someone (from this group) to take a leadership role with managing the discussion group process – that would entail making sure each workshop has at least a couple of discussion groups scheduled, recruiting volunteers to facilitate the discussion groups (which could be the original workshop presenter, or could be anyone else) and reviewing applications for discussion group facilitators
- Lesson plans on GitHub being a barrier to contribute (directed to the Training team)
- Slides for the lesson plans
- Workshops need discussion group leaders
- Learn site development handled by Meta team. Log issues at https://github.com/WordPress/learn/issues.
- Consideration of using a learning management system on the Learn site https://github.com/WordPress/learn/issues/108
- @rmarks is taking lead on the workshop submission and review process
- @courane01 is taking lead on managing the lesson plans (along with the #training team)
- @sippis will be taking lead on managing the discussion groups
Additional ways to contribute
- Assisting any of the leads in their work – can include getting workshop presenters, discussion group facilitators, and lesson plan contributors
- Logging (and commenting on) issues for improving the site
- Recruiting volunteers all round
- Reviewing applications for workshop presenters and discussion group facilitators
- Making decisions about the platform