Learn WordPress is live and work is gathering towards getting it ready for a full launch. In order to make this the best it can be, it would serve us well to have a few volunteers coming together in a working group to focus on making the platform the best it can be.
So far we have had various people working on the design and development of the site, contributing lesson plans and workshops, facilitating discussion groups, managing the workshop review process, and generally being involved in planning and oversight. With things feeling more solid and Learn off to a good start, this is a good time to formalise the group of people working on this project.
Having a working group like this allows for a dedicated group of people who will continue to work on ensuring the success of the project, and ensures greater transparency around who is involved and what is happening – making it easy to get in touch with the right people if you have any questions.
The responsibilities of the Learn WordPress working group would be:
- Overseeing the development of the site, ensuring that the needed features are built in a timely manner.
- Managing the workshop submission and review process.
- Managing the discussion groups and working to keep them active and relevant.
- Ensuring that the lesson plans remain up to date, and new ones are added as the need arises.
- Seeking out contributors for all areas of the site – lesson plans, workshops, and discussion groups.
- Planning and implementing enhancements to improve the experience and effectiveness of the platform.
- Attending regular meetings in Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. to update on progress and engage in real-time discussions around the work being done.
Some specific areas of responsibility that will need someone to take a leadership role are:
- Managing the discussion group setup
- Managing the maintenance of the lesson plans
Does this sound like something you would like to be involved in? Please comment below, or send me (@hlashbrooke) a direct message on Slack to volunteer. You can also say what area of the project you would like to focus on the most so that we can build a nicely rounded out team.
This call for volunteers will remain open until 9am UTC on Monday, 31 August 2020.