This is the start of regular series that highlight updates and changes made in WordCamp.org during last quarter by the #meta-wordcamp team and community contributors. The plan is to publish a similar post at the end of each quarter.
As this is the first update, it might be worth clarifying what is WordCamp.org and #meta-wordcamp.
WordCamp.org is a WordPress multisite Multisite is a WordPress feature which allows users to create a network of sites on a single WordPress installation. Available since WordPress version 3.0, Multisite is a continuation of WPMU or WordPress Multiuser project. WordPress MultiUser project was discontinued and its features were included into WordPress core.https://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network. network that contains all WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. sites, WordCamp and Meetup Meetup groups are locally-organized groups that get together for face-to-face events on a regular basis (commonly once a month). Learn more about Meetups in our Meetup Organizer Handbook. application tools, most of the budget tools and other miscellaneous tools needed to community management. Most of the source code is public in the Github repository, only some special plugins aren’t included because of security reasons.
#meta-wordcamp is a Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel but used often when referring the sponsored team of developers who are responsible for maintaining existing tools, developing new ones (mostly) based on Community Team requests and help with community contributions. Currently, the team consists of @iandunn, @coreymckrill and @ryelle. More widely, #meta-wordcamp is the right channel for event organizers to reach out when they encounter technical problem, bug or want to get started on contributing towards developing WordCamp.org.
Updates and changes made in WordCamp.org in Q1 and Q2 2020:
- Multiple changes in preparations to migrate WordCamp site URLs to city.wordcamp.org/year format (discussion). Some sites have been already migrated if the event is over or organisers have requested the migration Moving the code, database and media files for a website site from one server to another. Most typically done when changing hosting companies..
- New Schedule Block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. is available on WordCamp sites (announcement)
- New Speaker Feedback tool is available on WordCamp sites (announcement)
- Day of event page added to new sites as default (60b500c)
- Better formatting on event application notes and links clickable (5c3ea7f)
- WordCamps in pre-planning was added to API An API or Application Programming Interface is a software intermediary that allows programs to interact with each other and share data in limited, clearly defined ways. (311914d)
- WordCamp attendee status can be now changed easily (73c9aaf)
- Sponsor invoices support new refunded status (dfdbbd5)
- WordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ login is required to send WordCamp or Meetup application (fc5cbe0)
- WordPress.org username is validated when applications are saved (92c0c72)
- Automatic contact form spam deletion disabled until WordCamp is over (34d4bed)
- Multiple updates to support organizing online events
Feature changes and improvements:
- The default theme for new sites changed to Twenty Twenty (75f4a2e)
- Camptix invoices plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party can be now activated by organisers (267dc13)
- WordCamp Central Website for all WordCamp activities globally. https://central.wordcamp.org includes a list of upcoming and past camp with links to each. receives CC from all email confirmations after event application has been sent (b8e6074)
- Meetup application questions were updated per Community Team’s request (4a4ad19)
- Tickets sold out the message was slightly tweaked to nicer one (5f3c274)
- Multiple payment management related changes
- Multiple minor PWA tweaks
- Multiple Favorite Sessions tool updates
- Sessions Custom Post Type WordPress can hold and display many different types of content. A single item of such a content is generally called a post, although post is also a specific post type. Custom Post Types gives your site the ability to have templated posts, to simplify the concept. now uses correct timezone for session times (043587c)
- Speaker application form WordPress.org login requirement was fixed (59c8193)
- Improvements on Camptix ticket form accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) (bdacdcc)
- Fix to invalidate Attendees page cache when an attendee is set to be private (4a1deba)
- Tens of minor miscellaneous updates to keep tools working